Waiting on my Behmor

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

Postby borny » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:52 am

Well, mine was delivered last night. I roasted two coffees, a Kenya and a Sumutra. This roaster definitely puts out a good amount of smoke. I roasted in my one car garage with the door closed. However, it is much less than what the I roast puts out. Nice simple roaster..... I especially like how quiet it is.

I was drinking the Kenya AA coffee today brewed in a press pot. Flavors seem to more rounded than from a similar roast in the I roast and cleaner. I didn't noticed to much subdued acidity from a drum roast... Guess I would have to do more research and do a side by side tasting.

Next coffee is the Sumutra Linton Special prep... I roasted a pound of this coffee to see what this roaster was made of....
beer, it's whats for dinner!
borny
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:44 pm

borny wrote:Well, mine was delivered last night. I roasted two coffees, a Kenya and a Sumutra. This roaster definitely puts out a good amount of smoke. I roasted in my one car garage with the door closed. However, it is much less than what the I roast puts out. Nice simple roaster..... I especially like how quiet it is.

I was drinking the Kenya AA coffee today brewed in a press pot. Flavors seem to more rounded than from a similar roast in the I roast and cleaner. I didn't noticed to much subdued acidity from a drum roast... Guess I would have to do more research and do a side by side tasting.

Next coffee is the Sumutra Linton Special prep... I roasted a pound of this coffee to see what this roaster was made of....

How did the full pound roast go?

Also, I'm going to have to roast in the garage. Although the smoke is less than before with my Whirley Pop it succeeds in activating virtually every smoke alarm on the first and second floors of my house. :0)
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Stevo » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:59 am

cooldaddybeck wrote:
Stevo wrote:Holy Fu**ing Sh*t!!!!! You guys had me untill I found out this thing costs 300 dollars.

It looks nice though, its a pain roasting 2/3 of a cup at a time with the hot air popper.

It's the best/lowest price for 1 pound capacity other than the Whirley Pop. Spend 2 years with the WP and you will make room in your budget for this. I did. :wink:

The option before this was around $500-$1000 for a drum roaster that could come close to, or possibly roast, 1 pound at a time.

Now that you mention it, Afer using the air poppers for a while, I haven't roasted in over a year! It did become a pain.
Stevo
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:30 pm

Stevo wrote:
cooldaddybeck wrote:
Stevo wrote:Holy Fu**ing Sh*t!!!!! You guys had me untill I found out this thing costs 300 dollars.

It looks nice though, its a pain roasting 2/3 of a cup at a time with the hot air popper.

It's the best/lowest price for 1 pound capacity other than the Whirley Pop. Spend 2 years with the WP and you will make room in your budget for this. I did. :wink:

The option before this was around $500-$1000 for a drum roaster that could come close to, or possibly roast, 1 pound at a time.

Now that you mention it, Afer using the air poppers for a while, I haven't roasted in over a year! It did become a pain.

This is the simplest thing you could imagine, literally push a couple buttons and watch it roast. And the capacity means I can roast enough for a month (I brew about 1/4 lb per week) or enough for my office for about one week in one shot. I tend to do 1/2 lb roasts, which last me about 2 weeks. Quite a bit nicer than roasting enough for one pot of coffee at a time.

:0)

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck

Postby MDixon » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:00 pm

cooldaddybeck wrote:It's the best/lowest price for 1 pound capacity other than the Whirley Pop.
{snip}

How soon they forget...
http://forums.moreflavor.com/viewtopic.php?t=22562

Did about 3/4lb of Indonesia Celebes Kalossi today and have been roasting on this puppy at least 1 batch (0.5lb to 1lb) a week since June.

Sounds like the Behmor is much easier, but I got less than $60 out of pocket including the heat gun and can roast at least a pound and half with ease...;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:53 pm

MDixon wrote:
cooldaddybeck wrote:It's the best/lowest price for 1 pound capacity other than the Whirley Pop.
{snip}

How soon they forget...
http://forums.moreflavor.com/viewtopic.php?t=22562

Did about 3/4lb of Indonesia Celebes Kalossi today and have been roasting on this puppy at least 1 batch (0.5lb to 1lb) a week since June.

Sounds like the Behmor is much easier, but I got less than $60 out of pocket including the heat gun and can roast at least a pound and half with ease...;)

I'm talking about retail roasters. I ghettoed up my Whirley Pop, but the Behmor is hands above anything I could put together in what little time I have free.

:wink:

~SWMBO

cooldaddybeck

Postby MDixon » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:40 pm

Awww, c'mon dude, all ya need is the motor spinning on a BM and use a heat gun...east peasy...;)

In reality I cannot see the BM lasting more than 3 or 4 years. The HG will go forever, but 1X per week will at some point be more than the BM duty cycle and I will have to purchase another BM... :lol:
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:19 pm

MDixon wrote:Awww, c'mon dude, all ya need is the motor spinning on a BM and use a heat gun...east peasy...;)

In reality I cannot see the BM lasting more than 3 or 4 years. The HG will go forever, but 1X per week will at some point be more than the BM duty cycle and I will have to purchase another BM... :lol:

Let's leave all this BM talk to Beerbiker...

:lol:

~SWMBO

cooldaddybeck

Postby borny » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:22 pm

cooldaddybeck wrote:
borny wrote:Well, mine was delivered last night. I roasted two coffees, a Kenya and a Sumutra. This roaster definitely puts out a good amount of smoke. I roasted in my one car garage with the door closed. However, it is much less than what the I roast puts out. Nice simple roaster..... I especially like how quiet it is.

How did the full pound roast go?

Also, I'm going to have to roast in the garage. Although the smoke is less than before with my Whirley Pop it succeeds in activating virtually every smoke alarm on the first and second floors of my house. :0)

full pound roast went well... It's nice having a machine that can do a full pound roast. I don't want to knock the home made roaster, but this is a great roaster and at a reasonable price. After all, it roasts, cools, collects chaff and suppresses the smoke all in one....

I use about 1/2 - 1lb of coffee a week between my wife and I. Making espressos uses up a lot of coffee!
beer, it's whats for dinner!
borny
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby SuperiorBrew » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:23 am

I am new to roasting but had been waiting on the 1600 to come out. I got it and did the iniatial burn and 2 roasts so far. my first roast was 1/4 on P2 B and was just a little light for the bean I used. The second one was 1/2 on P1 + 1:30 and it looks like what I would call a full city or a tiny bit past. I let it sit for a few hours and then sealed it 2 days ago so I will be grinding it in the morning and sampeling. It looks and smells great. Love roasting & the 1600 so far.
Rich

In Primary - EdWort's Apfelwein
In secondary - Red Headed Step Child
in Secondary - Blueberry Pinot Noir (SWMBO)
Lagering - Honey Light Lager
Enjoying - Canadian Ale, Pumpkin Cream Ale, Old Flat Tire, Honey Weizen
On Deck - Blind Squirrel, Gitchee Gumee
Brew Pics
SuperiorBrew
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:53 pm

SuperiorBrew wrote:I am new to roasting but had been waiting on the 1600 to come out. I got it and did the iniatial burn and 2 roasts so far. my first roast was 1/4 on P2 B and was just a little light for the bean I used. The second one was 1/2 on P1 + 1:30 and it looks like what I would call a full city or a tiny bit past. I let it sit for a few hours and then sealed it 2 days ago so I will be grinding it in the morning and sampeling. It looks and smells great. Love roasting & the 1600 so far.

Yep, this roaster kicks butt.

Has anyone else had their smoke detectors go crazy towards the end of the roast? The smoke is a lot less than with the Whirley Pop, but in 2 years I only set off the smoke alarms once. I've done it with every Behmor roast so far, including the initial dry run.

I always roast with a cross draft (window in the kitchen and front door open), but I haven't been able to figure this out yet. I may be banished to the garage for roasting soon.

~SWMBO

cooldaddybeck

Postby MDixon » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:26 am

I've never been able to roast anywhere but the garage or outside due to the smoke at/past 2nd crack...
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Ouroboros » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:43 am

You know I've roasted four roasts so far and not a single one has set off the smoke alarm 10 feet away! However, I have a small fan pointed at the smoke alarm and I put the Behmor on my stove top with the stove fan on low. But these are one pound roasts.

Contrast this with the iRoast. I have set off the smoke alarm every single time, with the same above method of trying to prevent the alarm. I have to roast outside with the iRoast. And also remember that this is only one cup of green beans, which is around 5oz at most. I'm very, very happy with the smoke reduction with the Behmor....
Ouroboros
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:46 am

I started roasting in the half bath downstairs, with the exhaust fan running.

1. No more smoke alarms going off

2. The guest bathroom smells awesome!

Also, I found that 1/2 lbs of beans set to 1 lb (but watch it closely!) produces a nice, dark roast and goes into the second crack easily. I'll post more findings when I come up with a setting that fits just right.

~SWMBO

cooldaddybeck

Postby Ouroboros » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:19 pm

Yeah I've noticed that too with the 1/2 lb roast set to 1 lb. The smoke suppression does work for me at least!
Ouroboros
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Previous

Return to Home Roasting