Waiting on my Behmor

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

Waiting on my Behmor

Postby cooldaddybeck » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:06 am

So, the Whirley Pop on crack works, but it's tiring to hold the drill during the roast so I've gone and pre-ordered my Behmore 1600.

:0)

Now, to sit back and wait......

Woohoo!
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Ouroboros » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:55 pm

I too am waiting on a Behmor. Don't know if you read the PDF manual that Casey provided in an email blast, but the manufacturer seems to warn time and again about not using the Behmor for any dark roasts.

Casey can you comment on this if you happen to read this???
Ouroboros
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:12 am

Ouroboros wrote:I too am waiting on a Behmor. Don't know if you read the PDF manual that Casey provided in an email blast, but the manufacturer seems to warn time and again about not using the Behmor for any dark roasts.

Casey can you comment on this if you happen to read this???

I tried to download the pdf, but it kept telling me that it was corrupted or invalid.

:cry:

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck

Postby Ouroboros » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:03 pm

OK well on page one it states:

"The Behmor 1600 is not intended nor meant to roast coffee to levels
known as Vienna, French, and Italian or darker."

Then on page two it also mentions:

"Never roast past 10 seconds into 2nd crack. If heavy smoke is seen, begin cooling immediately."

So I'm wondering if they are just saying this to cover themselves from people burning their houses down, or if it really was designed to go up to full city roasts at the most. Seems a little weird to me. And the roast programs have a maximum time you can increase them to.

Well we'll just have to see I guess...
Ouroboros
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:18 pm

Ouroboros wrote:OK well on page one it states:

"The Behmor 1600 is not intended nor meant to roast coffee to levels
known as Vienna, French, and Italian or darker."

Then on page two it also mentions:

"Never roast past 10 seconds into 2nd crack. If heavy smoke is seen, begin cooling immediately."

So I'm wondering if they are just saying this to cover themselves from people burning their houses down, or if it really was designed to go up to full city roasts at the most. Seems a little weird to me. And the roast programs have a maximum time you can increase them to.

Well we'll just have to see I guess...

It's probably a CYA, because once you pass the second crack you get into potential fire territory depending on the bean and countless other factors...

~SWMBO

cooldaddybeck

Postby Ouroboros » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:04 pm

I guess so - I'd love to hear how things go for you when you get it. I pre-ordered it after hearing about it from Casey. It "came out of the blue" for me and looks great because I really got tired of roasting over and over in the little iRoast. Guess I need to get a scale now to measure the beans...
Ouroboros
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby borny » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:47 am

Ouroboros wrote:I guess so - I'd love to hear how things go for you when you get it. I pre-ordered it after hearing about it from Casey. It "came out of the blue" for me and looks great because I really got tired of roasting over and over in the little iRoast. Guess I need to get a scale now to measure the beans...

I pre-ordered it too and cannot wait.

Quick question, why would you want to roast darker than vienna? After all, you would lose all of the orgin characteristics... Even if you were roasting for espresso.
beer, it's whats for dinner!
borny
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Ouroboros » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Oh I wouldn't want to go past Vienna. I guess I was just surprised by the warnings in the manual. I would have liked knowing that I *could* if I wanted to.

Speaking of which - how do you guys determine when to stop the roasting. For my tastes, around the second crack I start to see oil on the outside of the bean, this is where I stop the heat and start the cooling, right where I see the beginning of oils and the cracking. I like watching the beans change. I've never trusted an automatic timer for roasts, meaning I don't set some preset and then walk away. I've never trusted this way because I've found so many different factors that change the time.
Ouroboros
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby borny » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:17 pm

depends on what I'm roasting. Yirgacheff's, Kenya's and a lot of African coffee's for that matter I stop shortly after first crack or City roast. Yemen's I bring just a couple snaps into second crack, or Full City + and sometimes into Vienna. Central, South American and Kona I bring to Full City - Full city+ - Vienna. Full city - Vienna is where I start seeing oil... This will be interesting because with the Behmor we won't be able to see the beans all that well.... Roasting will have to be down by hear and smell... Although, I guess people have hacked a window in the chaff collector to have a look at the beans as they roast.
borny
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Ouroboros » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:53 pm

Well there is a light in there. Are you saying that the chamber itself makes it difficult to see the beans? I'm more concerned with light from the bulb myself...
Ouroboros
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:09 pm

My roasting levels are dependent upon both the bean and my mood. :0)

Ethiopian beans, in my opinion, are awesome at a very light roast.

I prefer my Central American beans around full city.

Other than that, I usually run 8 oz at a lighter roast, then 8 oz at a darker roast and see what I like or don't like in each batch and make my final decision from there.

In other words, it varies by bean and even by batch. ;0)

~SWMBO

cooldaddybeck

Postby Ouroboros » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:53 pm

I totally agree about it being about the bean - I don't have a blanket idea that I apply to everything! Glad to see other's opinions...
Ouroboros
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:24 pm

Ouroboros wrote:I totally agree about it being about the bean - I don't have a blanket idea that I apply to everything! Glad to see other's opinions...

If you roasted everything identically, say to Dark French, then I'd start calling you starbucks.

:lol:

~SWMBO

cooldaddybeck

Postby Ouroboros » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:44 pm

And now we have the formula for Starbucks!! Thanks for saying that! And that is why I roast! :P

I'll post first impressions when I get my Behmor - any others please do the same, I'd love to hear from you all.
Ouroboros
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby borny » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:51 am

I'm at work, so I cannot post the link. On You Tube there is a video of the Behmor in action. There is a light, but the light gives a very orange glow like oven lights. Also, the chaff collector makes the poor lighting even worse... Check out the video on YouTube. Just search for Behmor.

Oh yeah, my roasting depends on the bean and how its recommended roast level. When I buy beans from my buddy, I try various levels, but never keep notes.... :oops: Which makes it very difficult to reproduce roasts.... This will change though!!!!
borny
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Next

Return to Home Roasting