Waiting on my Behmor

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

Postby cooldaddybeck » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:54 pm

Shipped today! Woohoo!

Scheduled to arrive Thursday, which is full-up for me, so I'm looking forward to roasting on Friday.

:0)
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:23 pm

cooldaddybeck wrote:Shipped today! Woohoo!

Scheduled to arrive Thursday, which is full-up for me, so I'm looking forward to roasting on Friday.

Gah! It's been "out for delivery" since 4:15am, but I know that UPS doesn't show until 4-6pm.

Soon, my precious....

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck

Postby Ouroboros » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:08 pm

Got mine last night :D

I did a 1/2 pound roast and I needed to add about 30 more seconds to the profile. I'm not doing a pound. Its pretty quiet! Haven't seen any smoke yet, except when I did an initial self clean to "season it"

I'll write back and say how the current pound roast did, but the 1/2 pound turned out great!
Ouroboros
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Ouroboros » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:48 pm

Wow pretty amazing - NO SMOKE at all after a one pound roast. Everything looks and smells good too at full city.
Ouroboros
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Stevo » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:47 pm

Holy Fu**ing Sh*t!!!!! You guys had me untill I found out this thing costs 300 dollars.

It looks nice though, its a pain roasting 2/3 of a cup at a time with the hot air popper.
Stevo
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Ouroboros » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:13 pm

Well $300 is really worth it to me - I got soooooo tired of roasting just ONE CUP of green beans at a time with the iRoast.

Incidentally, I had a question about the Behmor so I decided to call their customer number - it turns out that its the owner's house number. I spent the next 30 minutes talking with him. He's an amazing guy and wanted to let me know how much he wants to be there to help people. Never heard of that kind of support! So far I'm finding $300 is worth it, especially with my time.
Ouroboros
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:34 pm

Behmor pictures: action shots.

So, I went through the dry burn cycle to prime the roaster, longest 20 minutes of the day. :0)

Roasted 1/2 pound of Monsooned Java Arabica, 1/2|P5|D|+|+|Start

Awesome. Virtually silent, perfect full city roast based on the recommended cycle in the manual, aroma but no visible smoke, virtually silent, easy view through the window, virtually silent.

Did I mention it makes no noise? After doing the Whirley Pop for 2 years, that's a huge factor. :0)

After the dry burn plus the roast, every smoke alarm in the house went off. No visible smoke, but I'm guessing some particulates. I'll give it another shot though with a single cycle.

Overall, best purchase I've made this year hands down.

~SWMBO

cooldaddybeck

Postby Ouroboros » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:27 pm

Great! I'm glad you're stoked - I am. One trick on the smoke alarms I have is to get a small little fan and point it up at the nearest smoke alarm. I HAD to do this because there's one almost directly above the kitchen which means any baking or serious cooking and it makes a racket...

Oh and about the silence - I used to use the iRoast which does a decent job but sounds like a vacuum cleaner! Nice change with the Behmor. What I appreciate now is the cracks that I can easily hear. When I was talking to him by the way, he mentioned how different each of the roast profiles were. Make sure you give them all a test and figure out which is best for you and the bean. I'm still figuring this out obviously.
Ouroboros
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:48 pm

Yep, I'll be doing some 1/4 pound tests. I will be using up the last of my Whirley Pop coffee tomorrow morning so I wanted to whip out a quick 1/2 pound to cover the weekend. As it gets colder, I will start to brew up to two pots per day (when home) versus just one.

I'll probably do some tests and give the results to friends. I have a few who have been waiting on coffee...

~SWMBO

cooldaddybeck

Postby cooldaddybeck » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:32 am

Stevo wrote:Holy Fu**ing Sh*t!!!!! You guys had me untill I found out this thing costs 300 dollars.

It looks nice though, its a pain roasting 2/3 of a cup at a time with the hot air popper.

It's the best/lowest price for 1 pound capacity other than the Whirley Pop. Spend 2 years with the WP and you will make room in your budget for this. I did. :wink:

The option before this was around $500-$1000 for a drum roaster that could come close to, or possibly roast, 1 pound at a time.

~SWMBO

cooldaddybeck

Postby borny » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:30 am

you guys are killing me... I will not get mine until monday.... :(
beer, it's whats for dinner!
borny
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:39 am

borny wrote:you guys are killing me... I will not get mine until monday.... :(

Take the time to read the manual again, then review how the chaff collector is inserted. :0) When you open it, you'll go back to the manual to look again or you'll think "I'm wasting time, roast!" and possibly put it in wrong. That was the only question I had when I opened it all up.

Oh, the S/N (for registration online) is on the lower right corner as you view the back of the roaster.

:wink:

~SWMBO

cooldaddybeck

Behmoor 1600 outstanding service.

Postby TGlide » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:17 pm

Got mine yesterday. It came without a chaff tray. I called More Coffee and spoke with Casey who told me to call Bob the owner of the company. I called and he answered on the 3rd ring. He was baffled as to how it happened but he couldn't have been nicer and more apologetic. He sent me a new chaff tray today (overnite) with some coffee to compensate me. I have to commend both More Coffee for their help and commitment to customer satisfaction. I really have to commend Bob the owner of the company that distributes the Behmoor. Problems can occur with any product but the true test of a companies commitment to customer service is how they resolve problems. Bob and the Behmor were outstanding in their resolution of this minor problem.
TGlide
Knowledge is Good - Emil Faber
TGlide
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Ouroboros » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:37 pm

I'm glad you talked to Bob. I mentioned earlier in this thread that I called him myself and we ended up talking for a half an hour about all kinds of things. He represents the best of customer service to me.
Ouroboros
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:38 pm

I ran my second roast today, again with Monsooned Java Arabica.

1/2 pound, P2, B

Came out Light/City and an awesome aroma. Can't wait to brew it tomorrow morning.

Strange about the chaff tray missing. Glad to hear it's being taken care of though.

~SWMBO

cooldaddybeck

PreviousNext

Return to Home Roasting