It suddenly hit me...

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

It suddenly hit me...

Postby gfoster » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:10 pm

I have a gift certificate for B3 sitting on the door of my fridge (a thank you from a friend for brewing beer for them). I've been holding on to it to buy beer stuff eventually, but I have a ton of grain and hops right now. It suddenly hit me...

COFFEE ROASTER

ooh yeah.

So, what's the recommended roaster to start out with? The I-roast 2? Is that a good one?

I'll probably be roasting beans mainly for my Silvia espresso machine (and rocky grinder). The wife drinks a lot of drip coffee and if it's not french roast she turns her nose up at it, so although I plan on experimenting with different roast levels it will at least need to roast the occasional deeply burnt (heh) batch for her drip machine.

So, recommendations? I've got a couple of pounds of Intelligentsia Black Cat coming, after that I'm open to suggestions for a starting roaster AND some starting espresso blends!

-- Gary F.
Primary: empty
Tap 1: California Creamin'
Tap 2: empty

All my recipes: Buen Perro Brewing
gfoster
Site Admin

Postby Beach Brewer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:20 pm

As far as a roaster goes I really like my I-Roast 2. I've had it for two years now and haven't run into any problems yet. I roast enough beans for two daily coffee drinkers and the occasional gifts so I've probably roasted close to 100 times on it. I think for the price, it really can't be beat.

Oh and it'll do charcoal roast if you want it. No problem. :)
-Bryan
Batches Brewed: 100

"..and I will make it felony to drink small beer." --Shakespeare's Henry VI
Beach Brewer
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby kilkil » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:14 pm

I would say the big drawback of the i-roast (I've had one for about 1.5 years) is the noise, just like a hotair popcorn popper. The quieter one that uses an auger is said not to make a dark roast, so the i-roast is a good choice, and then look at sweetmarias and I have used his roasting program.
kilkil
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby gfoster » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:54 am

I plan on roasting in the garage, so the noise (and smoke) won't be an issue. I was looking at all the stuff on the I-roast at sweet marias. I love their website (and go there quite a bit for info) but *man* they need to organize that thing better. Holy crap it's got TONS of good information but it's like descending into the library to find something out and being told you can't use the card catalog and you just have to browse the shelves.

-- Gary F.
Primary: empty
Tap 1: California Creamin'
Tap 2: empty

All my recipes: Buen Perro Brewing
gfoster
Site Admin

Postby kilkil » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:47 am

I remember sweetmarias site being messy, but it had the best information that I was looking for.

As for garage roasting (I roast in the garage) the ambient temperature changes the length of the roast, at 90F the desired roast is reached 3-4+ minutes before it is reached at 40F. It is one variable that isn't controllable and thus you need to extend the final heating cycle to compensate for this.
kilkil
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Return to Home Roasting