Got my roaster

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

Got my roaster

Postby gfoster » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:47 pm

Well, I was going to go for the iRoast, but after rolling up all the loose change I had around the house I had enough to upgrade to the Behmor. yes, seriously, I had that much change laying around lol :)

So here I sit with a Behmor roaster, and 3 lbs of green beans. I got a lb of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, a lb of Brazil Daterra and a lb of kenya AA lenana.

So, anyone want to give me a hint on a good first roast for one of these selections? Like a 1/4 lb batch? The tasting notes I got from Casey recommend:

Kenya AA Lenana - french roast for both drip and espresso
Brazil Daterra - Full city for drip, french roast for espresso

No recommendations for the yirgacheffe. I personally like a vienna/Northern Italian roast with most of the beans I've had in the past. Where does this fit in the city/full city/french scale? I was under the impression that vienna was before french but after full city?

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions on a first roast. Matt, what do you recommend with this yirgacheffe?

Also, stupid question, but after I roast them I know they need to degas for a day or so first. Do I store them in an airtight container during this phase or do they need to be in a paper bag or something?

Thanks!

-- Gary F.
Primary: empty
Tap 1: California Creamin'
Tap 2: empty

All my recipes: Buen Perro Brewing
gfoster
Site Admin

Postby gfoster » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:51 am

Ok, talked to Beck last night and got some advice and did my first roast. I roasted some Yirgacheffe just past 1st crack.

I went ahead and ground some this morning and honestly, wasn't that impressed. Either it needs to degas a little bit longer, I need to brew it stronger or roast it darker because it had very little depth and body to it. It was very smooth, but that was about the only thing going for it.

My wife was very excited about trying it, woke me up this morning by poking me in the ribs and saying"ooh ooh can we try our coffee now?" and then when she got her cup she kept staring into it saying "where's my coffee?" with a forlorn look on her face.

I'll stress that the coffee was very smooth but it really was lacking depth. I really wanted something a little meatier.

I think I"ll roast the other half of the pound a little darker and see what happens.

-- Gary F.

gfoster
Site Admin

Postby Beach Brewer » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:39 am

I like my coffee pretty dark just near Vienna - Light French Roast. For my roaster in order to achieve this I have to roast it until about 10 seconds after second crack. I think to achieve the level of roast you and the wife are looking for you should let it go until you just hear second crack start at least. Then maybe experiment into how far into second crack you're willing to go. I suggest making very small batches at first so you don't waste beans with a roast level you just don't care for.
-Bryan
Batches Brewed: 100

"..and I will make it felony to drink small beer." --Shakespeare's Henry VI
Beach Brewer
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby kilkil » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:07 pm

I like to mix 50/50 a lighter roast (pretty soon after first crack) to get the caramel type flavors and mix a darker roast (to where oil is just starting to show on the beans) to get the roasty flavors.
kilkil
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby JP » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:00 pm

That Eith. needs to be stopped just after second crack, IMO. Its a great cup, but not on a light roast.
Cheers!
JP
JP

Postby gfoster » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:31 pm

Yeah I was probably too paranoid about things erupting into flames and stopped it too early :)

I'll roast the other half pound darker and see how it goes. Maybe blend the two a little bit so I don't waste the lighter roasted stuff.

-- Gary F.

gfoster
Site Admin

Re: Got my roaster

Postby gfoster » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:29 pm

Another update. I've done 5 or so roasts now and I think I've managed to stumble upon the perfect roast profile for the sweet maria's french roast blend.

One thing I've finally figured out about the Behmor is that the bean weight settings and the letter buttons don't mean jack. All they do is adjust the time settings, so you can use any combination of them you want in order to get the right time settings before you start. There's no difference between hitting the 1 lb "C" and adding time, or hitting the 1 lb "D" and subtracting to get to the same time for example.

According to the guys on the sweet maria's homeroast list, the P2 profile is the best bet for these particular style of beans, which is a full power roast until 70% into the time, then it chops power down some to extend the time between 1st and 2nd crack... then at 90% of the time it raises the power back up to full. They also said this is the hardest profile to master. Each profile is better for different types of beans (soft beans, hard beans, island beans, etc).

So, what I did was roast 8 oz of beans on P2 with the time adjusted to 17 mins before pressing start. First crack was at 10:30 into the roast, power chopped down at 12 mins, right about the time 1st crack fell silent. That stretches out the time between 1st and 2nd crack which (so I'm told) is what you want for these beans to get good flavor development.

2nd crack started at 16 mins and at 16:15 I pushed cool (it was in the middle of a good loud rolling 2nd crack). They look to be a vienna roast to me although I'm told they are probably closer to a light french (I'm not good at determining the various shades yet, especially when they are so close together).

I roasted a previous batch pretty close to this profile with pretty similar timing (except for the power cycle points) and while it's ok in the drip pot it's *amazing* in the french press. This will need to sit until about monday, and then I'll be able to tell if I've nailed it or not but I'm fairly confident this time.

Matt, you've got some competition in the roasting department now I think... be a while before I catch up to you but I'm thinking I'm starting to understand this a bit better! :)

-- Gary F.

gfoster
Site Admin

Postby cooldaddybeck » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:50 pm

I'll let you know when I consider you competition...

:P

Glad to hear things are looking up on the roaster, and hopefully you get a chance to replace your erratic dripper (and your coffee maker too).

:lol:
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby gfoster » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:34 pm

Finally convinced the wife to replace the drip machine so I ordered a newco OCS-12.

Got a really good deal on it, list price is somewhere around 150 and I got it for $99 plus shipping.

This is one of the few coffee makers that has been approved by the SCAA. The technivorm is one also, but that thing is almost 3 bills and my wife is already about fed up with me buying stuff :)

-- Gary F.

gfoster
Site Admin

Return to Home Roasting