Behmor roast profiles

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

Behmor roast profiles

Postby gfoster » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:09 pm

Thought I'd start a thread to collect behmor roast profiles and tasting notes. That way, anyone (mainly me when I lose my notes) can quickly reference what has worked and not worked for someone in the past.

I'll start it off with a couple of profiles I've worked with. I won't bother listing the letter or poundage buttons because I've finally figured out they don't matter. All the letter buttons do is give you a preset time and the poundage buttons affect that preset time too. There's absolutely no difference between a P2 roast when you add time to get to 16 mins or subtract time to get there. Use any combination of the poundage and letter buttons to get to the stated time. All times are adjusted prior to hitting start unless otherwise stated (this stretches out or compresses the entire roast instead of adjusting the leg the roaster is in if you do it mid roast).

• Sweet Maria's French Roast blend - 1/2# green weight, profile P2, 16:30 roasts to a light french roast and tastes really good. The 1st crack hits about a minute before the 1st power drop at about 10:30 into the cycle, and 2nd crack starts about 20 seconds prior to the end of the roast. It coasts into a full on rolling 2nd crack just as the cooldown cycle starts. I really like the results on this and I've roasted 2 lbs of this bean this way so far.
  • Brazilian Daterra Santa Colomba (from B3) - 1/2# green weight, profile P3. 15:30 on the timer. Very smooth, full city roast. clean and smooth, hints of nuts and a light clean woody taste in the cup. I might try roasting this a hair darker just to see what happens. Not sure if I like this bean or not, all I know is the roast turned out very clean and smooth with definite hints of the notes Casey talked about in his cupping notes.
  • Kenya AA Lenana (from B3) - 1/2# green weight, profile P5. I roasted this to a full city+ level of roast on P5 by maxing out the weight and time and then stopping it 10 seconds into 2nd crack. It sucked. It tasted fine the first few days (after about 2 days of rest) but by the time the coffee was gone I was wondering if I had accidentally put some compost in the coffee filter instead of fresh ground beans. I need a better profile for this. After reading up, the P5 profile is made for island beans like Kona and JBM and that very much could've been the issue here. I need to get some more of this and try it on P2 or P3 instead.

Right now I'm mainly going to stick with P2 and P3. Here's a breakdown of the profiles:

• P1 - Hard beans. Just a straight full power roast for the entire time.
  • P2 - Hard beans. Drops power at around 65% of the cycle time and then brings power back up to full at 90%. The theory here is that you want to draw out the time between 1st and 2nd crack, so the power chop should hit after 1st crack is complete. Supposed to be one of the best profiles but the hardest to master the timing on.
  • P3 - Soft beans, low grown beans (such as brazilian). Has a multi-stepped profile with a slower preheat. Joe Behm (the inventor) says this is his favorite profile.
  • P4 - Soft beans and espresso blends.
  • P5 - Hawaiian, Jamaican, island coffees. Designed to take these beans to city/city+

-- Gary F.
Primary: empty
Tap 1: California Creamin'
Tap 2: empty

All my recipes: Buen Perro Brewing
gfoster
Site Admin

Re: Behmor roast profiles

Postby cooldaddybeck » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:38 am

Ummm, I just push a couple buttons, walk away for 15-17 minutes, and come back to monitor the cracks.

:P
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Return to Home Roasting