What are you roasting?

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

What are you roasting?

Postby gfoster » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:30 am

I've been on an Ethiopian kick lately. I've got about 12 lbs of Ethiopian Korate Sidamo dry processed and about 7 lbs of the same coffee wet processed. I've been drinking the DP a lot lately, roasted to about a FC roast. Very bright and wild with a ton of apricot in it and I'm really enjoying it. Only thing I'd change is I wish it had a little more body (I like really thick full-bodied coffees and this one is about medium or so). The WP version of the same lot is much more restrained with a richer and more "elegant" profile. If you were to compare them to women, you'd date the wild and crazy DP until you were exhausted, and the WP is what you'd introduce to mom and the one you'd settle down and marry. Between the two, I'm still in the dating stage with these coffees heh.

Just finished up the last of my IMV which makes me sad. Have FTO Harrar and a ton of yirgacheffe waiting to be roasted up as well. I'm almost out of the Morenhina Formosa I like so much and use as a base for my espresso blends so I need to pick up some more of that but other than that I'm fat on coffee... I have something like 50# of various greens on hand (19 or so different types, half of which are assorted Ethiopians). Nearly all of them are vacuum packed.

I have a crapton of beer in the lagering fridge and no room to brew more right now until I drink it up. I brewed a buttload for a friend of mine's retirement party and then he changed his party plans at the last minute so now I've got a ton of beer backlogged and I'm dieting and trying not to drink very much of it. Consequently, I'm concentrating on building up my roasting skills in the meantime.

Anyone in the east bay want to get together and swap a couple pounds of greens?

-- Gary F.
Primary: empty
Tap 1: California Creamin'
Tap 2: empty

All my recipes: Buen Perro Brewing
gfoster
Site Admin

Re: What are you roasting?

Postby gfoster » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:10 pm

Can't believe nobody wants to swap beans... :(

This morning it was free trade organic Harrar from the Oromia coop. Wow. Silky smooth medium-heavy body, with tons of blueberry wine notes in the finish. Some harrars are like blueberry syrup, this one has more of a wine note to it. I like... I like very much. Should've bought 10# instead of 5# I think heh.

-- Gary F.
Primary: empty
Tap 1: California Creamin'
Tap 2: empty

All my recipes: Buen Perro Brewing
gfoster
Site Admin

Re: What are you roasting?

Postby JP » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:23 pm

I bought a pound of Sidamo from Starbucks ...
Cheers!
JP
JP

Return to Home Roasting