Upset roaster for more reasons than one.

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

Upset roaster for more reasons than one.

Postby roastmaster » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:13 am

I really hate to post this as I really considered MoreCoffee as one of the greater green coffee bean sites on the net and have done 85 percent of business over the past two years and a higher percentage of about 90 percent in the last year. Now that I have retired from the auto trade I am going into change my hobby of coffee roasting into a business. For this I will need to order a lot more at a time but not so much to still be offering a lot of it past the current crop year without telling my customers that is at least last years crop.

I knew after a while that his bean stock didn't change that often, but often enough to add a couple of "new" beans on the list every quarter or so. I check here daily to see if any new came in and diligently went over the descriptions to make sure they have the overall profile I'm looking for to compare it to the other coffee beans I have in stock. Sure enough when I find one I really want to buy I finally found out both the new and the long past seemed to have the characteristics I bought the first order for. I've even noticed that sometimes they change the name ever so lightly you would think it's the same coffee but it isn't. The current listing for Indonesia Sumatra Mandheling is exactly the same as from the older listing for Sumatra - Gayo Mountain, Aceh. Different names but the same exact notes even though most likely seasons apart and definately not the same coffee.

Knowing that coffee beans change their flavors and other charstics from year and even from different batches from the same farm, co-op and/or processing plant I am now a bit confused on weither I will continue to buy my coffee from here or not. I'm starting a coffee business and I don't need to have really old crops presented as new or if that's not the case, why can't the people here update the descriptions when they have the same coffee bean. I looked at several beans and the old description pages are identical to the period mark at the end of a sentence. Even the ones that say coffee roasting notes coming soon were the same even in some cases saying that the roasting notes were coming soon. This practice takes the speciality out of speciality coffee beans. Might just as well forget describing them and say something like Sumatras generally have a slight earthiness to it and lots of chocolate, especally at the darker roast levels.

So what's a buyer supposed to think under these conditions? Tell them my "new" coffee lot of Sidamo will tast exactly like the one I bought a year and a half or two years older? I think not as I won't sell old crops of beans and tell my customers that they are from the current years crop. Star$ and others may do it all the time, but that is why they have to burn the beans so their customers won't know the difference as much if any at all.

Another thing is that I have left e-mails to the supposed management/sales/techs and etc people here asking some questions and have never had an answer for any of them.

Now I have to decide what to do. Pay about the same for coffee and save quite a bit on shipping by buying here and not caring to give my clients the freshest coffee available? Or go to an previous source that charges for shipping and at least have fresh coffee as their new coffee comes in constantly and they never last more than 6 months if that. Also with this site, I have never seen this type of practice go on. New lots of the same coffee in the same year have new notes on taste, smell and roasting profiles and they even tells you if it's first, the last crop of the season or the generally preferred middle of the season.

Like I said before, I have bought quite a bit of coffee here for my own usage and sold a little of it. We all enjoy it as they like the idea that it's the freshest green beans, roasted the way they like it, and delivered fresh. In all fairness to my customers I can't do that anymore as I don't know what crop year it's from anymore. Now I can't even in honesty tell other roasters about MoreCoffee without telling them this so they can make their own decisions.

roastmaster
roastmaster
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Upset roaster for more reasons than one.

Postby gfoster » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:43 am

This is really not the place for this... this isn't a support site for B3, and most of the staff doesn't read here (with a few notable exceptions). I know there was a big push when Casey first came on here to start fleshing out their coffee offerings but I haven't seen much happening lately.

You'll get more response and better satisfaction by taking it straight to B3 instead of posting here.

-- Gary F.
Primary: empty
Tap 1: California Creamin'
Tap 2: empty

All my recipes: Buen Perro Brewing
gfoster
Site Admin

Postby roastmaster » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:26 pm

I know it's not a support site. I have sent several e-mails in the past for different things and never received an answer on any of them, and I was very polite and basically wanting to know more information on their coffee sales to small businesses and a couple of other things.

Like I said, I was sorry that I had to post this, but at the same time I think others should know what I have found out. I guess I just get a bit upset when I find out something/place/person isn't upfront and telling the whole story so to speak.

I don't mind if you delete this thread, I didn't expect it to last long anyhow.

roastmaster
roastmaster
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby thetooth » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:43 pm

No offense, but you should probably just pick up a phone and call.

You've clearly never posted here before, so nobody will really take you seriously while you rail on the company that hosts this site. Posting here probably isn't going to do you much good.
thetooth
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby BeerPal » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:04 pm

"Waaaah! The MoreFlavor web site doesn't tell me enough about the product I'm going to resell to make me look like I know what I'm talking about to my customers!" Maybe you should try developing a relationship with Casey by calling him and asking about the beans you buy rather than posting ill-advised missives on the B3 forum. Clearly, you haven't even bothered to pick up a phone to give MoreFlavor the chance to address your concerns.

If you had posted a rant like this in one of the beer forums, you would have been ripped a new one by now.
"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby gfoster » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:59 pm

My point isn't that you don't have a valid complaint... my point is that this is an inappropriate venue for it. If you want resolution, you need to contact them directly. Posting on here won't accomplish anything except get the local population fired up and capping on you, and then I'll have to yell at them to back off. I don't like yelling at people and people don't like me yelling at them, so the only thing you're doing is stirring up bad feelings.

CALL them. Don't post on here whining about it because it will just cause bad feelings. You're not doing anyone a "favor" by "telling them about it". AFAIK, nobody sources coffee beans through the normal B3 storefront website for commercial roasting anyway, it's more for hobbyist type stuff. I would hazard a guess that if you really want to do commercial roasting you'd do a lot better sourcing them through a commercial supplier OR you'd do a lot better by talking directly to B3 instead of buying them through the normal retail storefront.

Just a guess and all though.

-- Gary F.
Primary: empty
Tap 1: California Creamin'
Tap 2: empty

All my recipes: Buen Perro Brewing
gfoster
Site Admin

Postby guitrman1 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:35 pm

roastmaster wrote:I really hate to post this

roastmaster

No you don't, You created an account on which you have never posted to this community before just to complain. In the time you took to create an acount and type out your complaint you could have picked up a phone and spoke with someone who could have helped you. Seems to me like you are trying to vent. Which brings me back to my original point...
"I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go." --Barak Obama at a campaign event in Beaverton, Oregon (Click here to watch Clip)
guitrman1
Keg (750 posts)

Postby BeerPal » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:57 pm

guitrman1 wrote:
roastmaster wrote:I really hate to post this

roastmaster

No you don't, You created an account on which you have never posted to this community before just to complain.

Bingo.
"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Mr. Wonderful » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:07 am

Rich Brooks --
When working twice as hard to compensate for lack of talent, there's no end to what you can't achieve.
Mr. Wonderful
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby happs01 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Mr. Wonderful wrote:Image

Oh, this is great! :mrgreen: I am in customer service and would probably be fired if I put this on my counter. Hilarious, nonetheless.
Aaron

Drinking (in the meantime in between time): Mirror Pond, Black Star, Long Hammer,
Fermenting:Kolsch
Lagering:none :(
Kegged:none :(
Future:Homegrown IPA, Red
happs01
Pitcher (300 posts)

Return to Home Roasting