Still roasting...

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

Still roasting...

Postby cooldaddybeck » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:37 pm

Even though I've been relegated to brewer's assistant (helping my brothers with their brews), I still roast weekly.

I just wrapped up my 5# of Indian Malabar, waiting for my next order to ship from C3 (hint hint guys).

:0)

Looks a little quiet here on the coffee side, what's everyone up to?

Gary, I'll swap some beans with you soon. I'm going to pick up some from a local supplier soon, they've got some interesting varieties available.
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: Still roasting...

Postby MDixon » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:59 am

I haven't roasted in quite some time. Costco has some roasted beans which come in under the price of green beans and make a darn nice cup. I do need to roast up the supplies I have (which are many) in the near future - thanks for the reminder I need to crank up the bread machine and heat gun!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby joechinon » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:37 am

I just finished the last of my 5 pounds of Sumatran that was excellent, now I'm working on a batch of Fair Trade Organic Colombian. I'd like to be able to have 3 or 4 varieties roasted but it would confuse my wife-she'd end up randomly pouring beans out of each jar into the grinder and then complain that the coffee didn't taste like it did yesterday. :shock:
On Tap:Flanders Red, Porter,Belgian Ball Buster,ESB,Sticke Alt,Rye Pale,Apple Rauchbier,Saison
Primary:BoneDry
Lagering/conditioning: Apple Rauchbier,,Vanilla Bourbon Porter,Brett saison,Pecan Rauchbier
Bottled:Crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Prickly Pear Mead,Black Braggot,Sour Pumpkin
On deck:Wheat IPA
joechinon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:19 am

MDixon wrote:Costco has some roasted beans which come in under the price of green beans and make a darn nice cup.

Blasphemy!!!!!
:twisted:
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby MDixon » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:57 am

I only roast because:
A - it is less expensive
B - it makes a better cup of joe than beans I can purchase

When the price is less and the cup is in the ballpark I put down the heat gun... :wink:
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby gfoster » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:16 pm

I've been roasting mainly dry-processed Ethiopians like the DP Korate Sidamo. I usually end up blending them half and half with my Brazilian Morenhina Formosa.

I just got 10 lbs of Red Sea blend from Royal (it's a blend of ethiopian and yemeni) and been liking it a lot.

This morning I had some Panama Esmerelda Gesha lot #5. My most expensive coffee. Roasted it last weekend and let it rest, and it's wonderful.

-- Gary F.
Primary: empty
Tap 1: California Creamin'
Tap 2: empty

All my recipes: Buen Perro Brewing
gfoster
Site Admin

Return to Home Roasting