Kona, Blue Mountain Beans, worth the price?

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kona, Blue Mountain Beans, worth the price?

Postby chico » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:08 am

You guys are all sick. If it weren't for your help and knowledge, i wouldn't be spending so much money right now. So after 2 years of homebrewing you guys have suckered me into roasting my own coffee beans. With the few i have tried, i really like the Ethiopian Sidamo and the El Salvador Santa Adelaida the best so far, so the question is, are the Kona beans or the Jamaican Blue Mountain beans worth the cost?
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who do not.
chico
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Re: Kona, Blue Mountain Beans, worth the price?

Postby fossilsrocks » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:16 am

In my opinion, no. They are very good, but there are others (As you have found) that are also very good that are less expensive. Just my .02 though....
Scott

You should go fishing; it is good for the soul. Have you ever heard of a single Nazi who liked to fish? You can't trust people who don't fish. We need to teach our House & Senate members to fish. Those who don't want to should be used for bait.
fossilsrocks
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby swede sd » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:18 pm

Not worth the bucks IMHO. I have tried them both, and at various roasts, and didn't think they even came close to all the hype they get. IMHO
swede sd
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby theisenm85 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:39 pm

Are they worth the price?
It depends of course.... but generally, no.

Compared to most other good coffees, they might come in slightly better. They might come in worse as well, it's going to change from year to year, no matter what you do. (there's also some question to where the coffee literally comes from... not all farms, even in the same region are created equal) There's probably more honesty in Kona coffee right now than Blue Mountain, but you're still talking about coffee that costs 2-3 times more than most, for a largely minor upgrade in flavor. I know that one of the issues with Blue Mountain is that the region has indiscriminately "grown", meaning that a wider range of coffee can be labeled the same way. Basically, everyone was trying to get in on the cash cow.

For my money, there are many more modestly priced coffees that are just as good if not better.

For those of you who do like your ultra premium coffee, Morecoffee is going to be offering Cof269: Ethiopian Amaro Gayo. It's going to come in at a slightly premium price next week, (9.40ish a lb) but it really is worth it. It doesn't quite have the name recognition that Kona or Blue Mountain has, but that's a good thing sometimes. Expect the sort of wild fruit flavor you get from most ethiopians... but a little more refined and smooth. It's pretty darned good coffee. And at half or 1/3 the price of Kona/Blue Mountain.... not even a contest.
Brew strong
Mike Theisen - Coffee Marketing/Sales, Showroom
http://www.morecoffee.com
theisenm85
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby gfoster » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:12 am

It really depends on what you like. I like the "island" coffees (Jamaican, Kona, Puerto Rican etc) a lot more than my wife does. She doesn't like the smooth cleanliness of the cup, she prefers something with a bit more bite. I also tend to prefer Ethiopians over the island coffees.

The island coffees have an entirely different profile, with lower acidity, more midrange and less of the craziness. They are ultra-smooth and many people like them, but it entirely depends on your own palate.

Also be aware that quality coffee is very much a farm-centric thing, some of the farms will be lower altitude and consequently not nearly as good of a product.

-- Gary F.
Primary: empty
Tap 1: California Creamin'
Tap 2: empty

All my recipes: Buen Perro Brewing
gfoster
Site Admin

Postby chico » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:36 pm

Thanks for all the great advice guys, i see now that there is much more to a bean than what country it is grown in. Since i started roasting i have found my tastes similar to what Gary is describing, clean and smooth, low acid, the Ethiopian Sidamo has been my favorite so far out of the 7-8 types i have tried, i also liked the El Salvador Santa Adelaida a lot. I will definitely be picking up some Ethiopian Amaro Gayo as soon as it is available, sounds like it's right up my alley. Thanks again guys, i think the home roasting has peaked my interest just about as much as home brewing has over the past 2 years!
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who do not.
chico
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby chico » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:50 am

theisenm85 wrote:For those of you who do like your ultra premium coffee, Morecoffee is going to be offering Cof269: Ethiopian Amaro Gayo. It's going to come in at a slightly premium price next week, (9.40ish a lb) but it really is worth it. It doesn't quite have the name recognition that Kona or Blue Mountain has, but that's a good thing sometimes. Expect the sort of wild fruit flavor you get from most ethiopians... but a little more refined and smooth. It's pretty darned good coffee. And at half or 1/3 the price of Kona/Blue Mountain.... not even a contest.

WOW, just finished roasting this and it's a killer cup! Thanks for the heads up, will be getting some more for sure!
chico
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Return to Home Roasting