Any reason NOT to get a Freshroast?

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

Any reason NOT to get a Freshroast?

Postby vw addict » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:55 am

Just wondering if there was a reason not to get one. I can't really seem to find any bad reviews on the machine, and I've been dieing to start home roasting. Somebody talk me into taking the plunge. :mrgreen:
vw addict
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Any reason NOT to get a Freshroast?

Postby gfoster » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:19 pm

Well, the batch size is kinda small... 3 oz per roast, that's a lot of roasting. My wife and I go through about a lb a week, I'd get pretty damned tired of trying to keep up with our consumption level if I could only roast 3 oz at a time.

-- Gary F.
Primary: empty
Tap 1: California Creamin'
Tap 2: empty

All my recipes: Buen Perro Brewing
gfoster
Site Admin

Postby vw addict » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:46 pm

eh, I ordered one today anyway. I guess I can always get something different in the future. I don't really mind roasting everyday or two, at least now I don't. :wink:
vw addict
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby chico » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:44 am

That's what i started with and i love it. It works great for us, we usually roast about 8 oz every weekend and that lasts easily through the week. Like Gary said, the only downside is the amount you can roast at one time. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to roast the 8 ounces, 2 oz at a time and then 20 minute cool off. I've found that 2 oz. at 4 min will give that nice full city roast i like. If you are a heavy coffee drinker, you are in for a lot of roasting, but the Freshroast is a great starting roaster in my book. I think you'll be pleased.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who do not.
chico
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby vw addict » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:44 am

I'm sitting here sipping a cup from my first batch. Incredible. So glad I bought this thing. Also picked up a conical burr grinder this week. The grind on the "coarse" setting didn't seem coarse enough, but it produced a great cup anyway. Now we have to see if I can get it fine enough for espresso. :mrgreen:
vw addict
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Return to Home Roasting