New Roaster Troubleshooting Poor Flavor

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

New Roaster Troubleshooting Poor Flavor

Postby cvarcoe » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:58 pm

Just started home roasting in a whirley pop. Roasted Fair Trade Organic Mexican Majomut , described as "Lively coffee! Bursting with juicy brightness, berry flavors, with touches of vanilla, caramel and chocolate. Delicious."

Roasted first batch to just short of full city, and next batch to full city. Dagassed for a day. Ground fairly finely and brewed in an automatic drip 2T/6oz as directed. Coffee tastes terrible; first batch as sour as lemonade, second batch weak and watery, and it's hardly dark. I'm trying to figure out if it's me or the beans.

Am I skipping any variables? Help, anyone?

Thanks,
CV
cvarcoe
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: New Roaster Troubleshooting Poor Flavor

Postby gfoster » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:41 pm

How are you determining they were "city" and "full city"? Bean temp, color or time? How far past 1st crack did you take it? Sounds to me like they were possibly under roasted or taken up to 1st crack too fast. You want a nice steady slope up temp wise until 1st crack, but you want to allow ample time for them to dry along the way (without screaming right past 1st crack either).

-- Gary F.
Primary: empty
Tap 1: California Creamin'
Tap 2: empty

All my recipes: Buen Perro Brewing
gfoster
Site Admin

Postby cvarcoe » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:31 am

Color alone. I brought the first batch up slowly, but roasted it lighter. I brought the second batch up more quickly but roasted it darker. Maybe the first one was too light and the second one was too quick?
cvarcoe
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby gfoster » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:26 pm

Yeah it sounds like that might be the case on both batches. Color isn't necessarily always the best indicator. It's a good guideline but not failsafe. You definitely want to extend the time between 1st and 2nd crack, that draws out more of the flavors and gives the bean time to develop fully. You don't want the temp to stall, but you do want to extend that time out. It also needs enough time before first crack to fully dry out. Try roasting it a bit more slowly, and take it up until just the beginning of 2nd crack and see how you like that... then adjust up or down accordingly from there.

How long does it take you to roast a batch?

-- Gary F.

gfoster
Site Admin

Postby cvarcoe » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:50 am

Time has been variable as I've experimented with different flame heights. The one I roasted slowly (light) took quite a long time, like 15 min. The second one that I roasted hotter and darker took much less time, say 6 min.
cvarcoe
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby gfoster » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:11 am

15 mins is about the time you want to shoot for. A 6 min roast will be awfully bright and really isn't enough time to develop the flavor profile.

Takes me about 15-18 mins (depending on the bean and the roast level) to roast 12 oz in my Behmor.

-- Gary F.

gfoster
Site Admin

Postby cvarcoe » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:30 am

Thanks. I'll adjust and slow down a bit.
cvarcoe
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Return to Home Roasting