Ronco Showtime as Roaster

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ronco Showtime as Roaster

Postby msav » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:15 am

Hey guys.

I read from a few people and places that the ronco showtime would not reach roasting temps. I picked one up on craigslist for $25 and I ran an experiment before purchasing a a Drum From CRC.

Sure enough after 15 min temperature inside the rotisserie still was sitting around 375. not nearly enough to roast. Another 4 mins only got it to 380. I read somewhere that a covering the glass with foil would help. I still was not sure it would help much. I let the unit cool and completely wrapped the door in multiple layers of foil. I even rolled up some foil and put them in the vent slots behind the glass then wrapped one more layer to hold them in place.

I then fired up the totally cool rotisserie and imagine my surprise when it hit 450 in about 4 min. I could not believe that foil would have that much of an impact. I gave it 5 more min and it was up to 500.

I then ordered my drum from CRC.

I roasted my first batch the other day in the drum. Put 8oz of beams in the preheated 350 degree rotisserie. I watched my temperature and became worried when it reached 450 and I still had not heard a single crack.(I had read that it was hard to hear in these machines) I then began briefly opening the door and looking at the beans through the holes in the drum. Still looked pretty green. when my temps reached about 470 I began to hear first crack. This happens in about 9 mins. At 10 mins it sounded like firecrackers smoke was pouring out. I thought did I go from first crack right into 2nd. I checked a couple times opening the door quickly. at 11 mins I said thats it and pulled the beans out. I found that 2 sets of needle nose pliers worked great and was able to remove and dump the beans in about 10 secs without burning myself. The beans were about at a full city roast. total roast time was 11 mins with me opening the door about 5 times.

I actually enjoyed the flavor, it was much different than my air popper would produce. I still felt that the roast happened too quickly for a drum. I am thinking maybe putting a pound of beans in next time and see if it slows the roast down.

I have about 10 4 oz batches under my belt in the hot air popper (P&S popcorn pumper) and just the single 8oz batch in the ronco.

anyone have any additional tips or helpful experiences with the above units.

Mark
msav
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Home Roasting