roaster troubleshooting advice

General discussions on home roasting

Moderator: Moderator Team

roaster troubleshooting advice

Postby hwasone » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:25 am

first time roasting - or attempting to. i didn't get anywhere near the temperature i needed (no thermometer, but didn't lose water weight, and could touch everything after 20min of heat.

i've got a wb poppery ii with some minor modifications (separate switches for fan and heater, thermostat bypassed)

i started with 100g (<4oz) green beans. after 10 minutes of no action cut it down to about 35g (just over an ounce). still nothing. the air flow is strong enough to push the beans around the outside, but the heat just isn't there.

i have two ideas:

-reduce fan speed
-give up on 100V / 50Hz wall power (thanks, TEPCO) and find another method.

thanks for your ideas!
Jason
hwasone
Barrel (1000 posts)

Re: roaster troubleshooting advice

Postby MDixon » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:00 am

Sounds like you have some issues. I pulled out my old hot air popper last weekend and had roasted beans in a few minutes, almost too fast. IME you should be from green beans to roasted with a small batch in a non-modified hot air popper in less than 5 min.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby hwasone » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:04 am

MDixon wrote:Sounds like you have some issues. I pulled out my old hot air popper last weekend and had roasted beans in a few minutes, almost too fast. IME you should be from green beans to roasted with a small batch in a non-modified hot air popper in less than 5 min.

yep. hence the post. any suggestions?
Jason
hwasone
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby MDixon » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:18 am

Check the wiring to the heater...
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby hwasone » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:16 pm

MDixon wrote:Check the wiring to the heater...

yep. loose connection :oops: . fixed it up... think i've got too many beans in now, but it's definitely roasting them.

took a lot longer than i expected, but definitely worked. quick math on my wiring... yeah, wall output of 100v means about 70% power from the main heater compared to 120v input. unless my ee skills are whack.
Jason
hwasone
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby hwasone » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:30 am

hwasone wrote:
MDixon wrote:Check the wiring to the heater...

yep. loose connection :oops: . fixed it up... think i've got too many beans in now, but it's definitely roasting them.

took a lot longer than i expected, but definitely worked. quick math on my wiring... yeah, wall output of 100v means about 70% power from the main heater compared to 120v input. unless my ee skills are whack.

had some trouble getting the proper roast level. rewired and added dimmer control to fan (will switch dimmer to heater, i think...) got excellent roast of 50g in about 5 minutes. WOO HOO! AWAKE AS HECK NOW!
Jason
hwasone
Barrel (1000 posts)

Return to Home Roasting