First cup always the best?

Blends, beans, brewing machines - all fair game!

Moderator: Moderator Team

First cup always the best?

Postby HomeBrewGuy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:58 pm

Why is it that the first cup brewed always tastes the best? I have a drip coffee maker (I know, the horror) and as the coffee is brewing I always pour a cup off to start the day. I don't let the coffee sit on a burner either. As soon as the coffee is finished brewing I turn off the hot plate. But the next cups never seem to have that 'fresh' flavor of the first cup.

Anyone know the reason for this?
Mike in SoCal
Brewmaster
Brothers Backyard Brewing West
HomeBrewGuy
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Roger456 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:39 pm

So you pour a cup before all of the water has gone through the grounds? Think of it like runnings from a mash: your first runnings will take most of the sugars out with the first batch of water (coffee oils, flavors, etc.), while the second runnings are not as concentrated. And, if you are using too much water, you start to leach tannins from the grains (nasty acid flavors from the spent grounds).

I'd bet you'll find your coffee is much better if you let it finish brewing the full pot of coffee before having a cup. You may also want to add more coffee, or less water, to the brew.
Roger456
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:20 pm

or just brew a cup or two at a time...with a little extra grounds.

:0)
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby gfoster » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:58 pm

It's kind of like drinking a "Hot Scotchie" during a mash.

Pull off a pint of the first runnings, add a shot of scotch, and drink it while the rest of the sparge runs. Guaranteed to prevent stuck mashes, gout and hair loss... and also makes the final beer taste better!

-- Gary F.
Primary: empty
Tap 1: California Creamin'
Tap 2: empty

All my recipes: Buen Perro Brewing
gfoster
Site Admin

Postby HomeBrewGuy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:59 pm

Roger456 wrote:So you pour a cup before all of the water has gone through the grounds? Think of it like runnings from a mash: your first runnings will take most of the sugars out with the first batch of water (coffee oils, flavors, etc.), while the second runnings are not as concentrated. And, if you are using too much water, you start to leach tannins from the grains (nasty acid flavors from the spent grounds).

I'd bet you'll find your coffee is much better if you let it finish brewing the full pot of coffee before having a cup. You may also want to add more coffee, or less water, to the brew.

Excellent analogy! I think I actually understand now!
Mike in SoCal
Brewmaster
Brothers Backyard Brewing West
HomeBrewGuy
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby plowe2103 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:03 pm

Economics 101 ...The Law of Diminishing Returns
Phil
Brewmaster
Brothers Backyard Brewing East

""I'm not drunk, all right. I just have a speech impediment ... and a stomach virus ... and an inner ear infection." "

Drinking...... Honey Wheat
Drinking.......... Vanilla Porter
plowe2103
Pitcher (300 posts)

Return to Coffee Brewing