Aero Press Reviews and Opinions please.

Blends, beans, brewing machines - all fair game!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aero Press Reviews and Opinions please.

Postby cjv85vmax » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:00 pm

Anyone use the new Aeropress. I have an old Moka pot that needs a new gasket. I liked the coffe that it produced, but this aero press intriques me. I also have a French Press. The FP is a pain to clean, so that is the other reason I like the idea of the Aeropress.
cjv85vmax
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby Ginger » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:06 pm

I bought an Aeropress a couple of months ago, and used it 5 or 6 times. It makes an OK cup of coffee, but I like my old method (manual pour-over) a lot better. The Aeropress also uses a lot more coffee than other methods. It does come in handy when we visit the in-laws (no coffee apparatus at all), but other than that, it stays on the shelf.
Ginger
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby cjv85vmax » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am on the fence about this purchase, not because of the cost, just not sure if it will do any better than my moka pot or french press. Thanks again for your reply.
cjv85vmax
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby rasqual » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:11 am

The Aeropress won't use more coffee if you go with your intuition instead of the instructions. User hotter water, and use as much water as the unit will hold regardless of the amount of grind you add. Use a fine grind and agitate the slurry longer than the instructions suggest -- at least twice as long. If you have much "wash-through" into your cup before pressing, grind finer.

It's possible to create coffee with the Aeropress that's probably better than a Clover, and certainly better than a French Press. This is not to say the Aero is a perfect brewing device, but it's remarkable for giving a lot of control over variables to the user.

http://scott.marquardt.googlepages.com/invertedaeropressingforbettercoffee
rasqual
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Coffee Brewing