Favorite coffee making method

Blends, beans, brewing machines - all fair game!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Favorite coffee making method

Postby Roger456 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:58 pm

There are lots of fancy coffee makers & gadgets out there, but what is your method of choice when it is early in the morning and you need a cup of joe?

This is mine:

Roger456
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Triple Freak » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:17 am

I use a drip for everyday coffee, and a French press for the good stuff.
Triple Freak

Postby gfoster » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:54 am

French press is my favorite.

I use the drip in the mornings due to time, and occasionally use my senseo when I want just a cup instead of a whole pot. Neither of those methods is the best, but they're both better than that crap my grandma used to boil on her stove in the percolator :)

-- Gary F.
Primary: empty
Tap 1: California Creamin'
Tap 2: empty

All my recipes: Buen Perro Brewing
gfoster
Site Admin

Postby shane » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:16 am

espresso for me, i tossed the drip machine about 6 months ago and i don't miss it.
shane
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby cjv85vmax » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:44 am

I have a french press. I also use a moka pot from time to time. I would like to buy another fancy and more expensive moka pot but I really can't justify it.

At work I grind some fresh beans from our local roaster and use the drip method. Funny comment there Gary about your grandma's coffee. At work we have a gentleman that is part time as he will retire in about a year. He is 63 y/o. Our company gives us cheap quality 8 cup bags of coffee that are packaged in plastic foil bags. The old guy has been drinking the hospital swill for so long that he prefers it to any other coffee that us young guys and gals make. He even gets angry when we make some of our high quality brew as he doesn't like the flavor. Ha Ha
cjv85vmax
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby Lee Theuriet » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:55 pm

I use a Krups Flavor Control. I grind the beans each morning with a Barista grinder, and roast with a Zach and Dani roaster. I love Coffee!
Lee Theuriet
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby joechinon » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:10 pm

We use the Melita cones almost exclusively at the house, but at work I'm afraid its the basic Folgers from a Bunn drip machine. It truly sucks but at least I have them making it stronger now.
On Tap:Flanders Red, Porter,Belgian Ball Buster,ESB,Sticke Alt,Rye Pale,Apple Rauchbier,Saison
Primary:BoneDry
Lagering/conditioning: Apple Rauchbier,,Vanilla Bourbon Porter,Brett saison,Pecan Rauchbier
Bottled:Crabapple cider,Cherry Brett,Prickly Pear Mead,Black Braggot,Sour Pumpkin
On deck:Wheat IPA
joechinon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby jethromlr » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:10 am

I make what is called a Toddy ( http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/product.php?productId=67 ) . I will stand by this method till I die.

I used to drink the majorly strong coffee I learned to make in Iceland by putting 2 filters on bottom (holds water in beans longer) and one on top (more evenly distributes the water). I loved it. Then, when I got out of the Air Force and went to college, my wife would hand me coffee as I stepped out of the shower in the morning that would keep me going till noon. It was a 1/2 gallon mug with 4 cups of expresso, hot chocolate, several spoonfuls of herbal tea, and a couple of scoops of breakfast malt. Kind of a chewy malty coffee/chocolate. Nice. I still love it.

However...I have since been introduced to this other method of great coffee. The Toddy uses a method called 'cold-brew'. This one aught to appeal to the beer brewers because it takes 12 hours to make. You put 1 lb of coffee grounds in a container and pour in tap water and let it sit at room temperature for 12 hours. After the 12 hours, you pull a cork out of the bottom and the coffee strains through a 1/2 inch thick filter in the bottom and out seaps the nector of life. That coffee is consentrated. Pour this into heated water to your desired strength level. Mixed 50/50 with water, this coffee is expresso strength. I usually pour about the bottom 1/8th of a coffee cup and the rest water.

This coffee is smooooooth. There is no oil slick that you see in normally brewed coffee because none of the acid is heated out of the bean. This makes it very kind to those of us that love coffee but have a bit of a tender stomach for coffee. I fill a bunch of little squirt bottles with the consentrate and put them in the freezer. And as I finish one bottle, I pull another out and let it set on my desk at work to thaw. It doesn't need refridgerated so it can sit out until it is gone (I've done this up to a week with no bad results). When I need another cup of coffee, I just give a good squirt into my cup and walk over to the coffee machine and fill the rest of the cup from the hot water dispensor. To me, it tastes more like it smells than normal coffee.

Now, a pound of coffee per pot may sound expensive, I thought it was horredous at first. But I quickly realized that it costs less, because one pot lasts several weeks since you only mix in a little bit per cup. I just generally put folgers in the brewer, but have tried other types and haven't been disappointed yet.
Primary: nada, zip, nothin'
Secondary: nada, zip, nothin'
On Tap: Wood Nymph Hard Cider, Oatmeal Stout, rootbeer
jethromlr
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby ChrisL » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:01 pm

I also prefer the french press when i've got the time.

When I'm really in a rush, I just toss a few beans in my mouth, chew, sip of water, swish and swallow. :lol:
On Tap: Pirate's Porter, Chocolate Imperial Stout, S.O.B.
Fermenting/Conditioning: Barleywine, IPA^2, 60 Schilling; Kolsch; Belgian Dubbel

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
ChrisL
Pitcher (300 posts)

Re: Favorite coffee making method

Postby VTXDave » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:21 pm

I've got a nice drip machine, a french press, but hands down my vacuum pot makes the tastiest cup o' joe around. A bit more manual effort, but well worth it...
VTXDave
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re:

Postby fossilsrocks » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:16 am

Triple Freak wrote:I use a drip for everyday coffee, and a French press for the good stuff.

Me too.
Scott

You should go fishing; it is good for the soul. Have you ever heard of a single Nazi who liked to fish? You can't trust people who don't fish. We need to teach our House & Senate members to fish. Those who don't want to should be used for bait.
fossilsrocks
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby theisenm85 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:11 pm

At Concord Headquarters, the preferred method is generally the french press. For one, it's delicious. 2, I can easily make 12 cups in about 10ish minutes. I've had bad luck with drip systems stripping varietal character. Maybe that's just a bad drip system. Not quite enough experience with espresso systems to comment there. The aeropress makes some nice coffee as well, small quantities only though. It seems to preserve a decent amount of character and get rid of bitterness. I'd need to do more trials with that. For my money, the french press is the easiest and most flavorful method.
Brew strong
Mike Theisen - Coffee Marketing/Sales, Showroom
http://www.morecoffee.com
theisenm85
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby vw addict » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:22 am

Drip during the week, espresso on the weekends. I'm very religious about cleaning my burr grinder and machine after pulling shots, wouldn't have enough time to do it everyday before work.
vw addict
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Roc-Craven » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:18 am

I have a k-cup machine for the weekdays. I only have one cup a home in the mornings. I can use the pre-packaged ones or I have the adapter to use my own blends. Weekends it the old drip one we have had forever.

The nice thing about the k-cup is SWMBO dosent like anything but flavored coffee so she can keep a few different ones on hand, and dosent kill me with a pot of flavored coffee all the time.
Jon Sheldon
Owner/Brewer
Bugnutty Brewing Company

Those who can, do. Those who cant, Hire someone else to do and then take credit for it. -- Jon Sheldon
Roc-Craven
Barrel (1000 posts)

Next

Return to Coffee Brewing