Who's a Coffee geek out there?

Blends, beans, brewing machines - all fair game!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Postby Triple Freak » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:46 pm

When I was in the service, I drank gallons of coffee, literally.
It was usually Maxwell House or Folger's. I developed a taste for Folger's & drink it to this day. But, I've changed to the Simply Smooth stuff, because it doesn't cause acid reflux. It's a rare occasion when I drink something like Starbucks anymore. I just don't like burping up coffee backwash 1/2 hour after I drink it. :lol:
Triple Freak

Postby Lee Theuriet » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:53 am

I use a Z & D roaster, and a Barista grinder. I experiment with various beans from B3. I grind each morning and I love the coffee...but, the acid is starting to get to me. If I do a darker roast and use less coffee, it seems to be less acidic...and still have great flavor. I use a Krups Flavor Control coffee maker.

Heard about a Toddy cold brew system out there. Supposed to reduce acid by 70% and still have great flavor - downside is it uses 1 pound per batch of ground beans, but that makes a concentrate that can last up to 3 weeks. Has anyone heard of this system?

Lee
Lee Theuriet
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby cjv85vmax » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:42 pm

Lee,

I have seen the Toddy in action. But personally I think you can achieve the same results on a smaller scale by just buying the biggest french press you can buy and using that to cold steep in your fridge. I have used this method a few times with fairly good results. Acidic coffee can play hell with my stomach as well. So, I generally nock her down with some 1/2&1/2. I like capaccinos as well. If I am drinking straight coffee I almost always use a french press unless I am at work.
cjv85vmax
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby Lee Theuriet » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:18 pm

Just tried the cold brewed Toddy system...SUCKS! Coffee tasts like POSTUM! Anybody remember that stuff?

Lee
Lee Theuriet
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Count Zero » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:48 am

I love coffee and the darker and stronger the better. I used to use a french press exclusively but I got concerned about my cholesterol level. Do you gus that use the press have cholesterol concerns? I've heard that paper filters remove most of the cholesterol so that's what I use now but, man, there is no comparison to goos pressed coffee.

-Brian
Brian
Trouble Brewing
Count Zero
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Russell » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:58 pm

Yeah, I never go a morning without it. To all who are seeking a better cup: the best place to start is with home roasting. From there consider a burr grinder and perhaps a french press, but for daily convinience sake, the drip type coffee brewer is hard to beat! Oh, also consider going with a gold, paperless filter on the drip brewer.
Russell
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Homegrown Hops » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:39 pm

I have been roasting my own beans for about a year now. I think that I have the lady convinced that we need a new coffee maker and "set the hook" on a Santos Vacuum pot.

HH
Watermelon What?

21st Amendment
Homegrown Hops
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby lewisbrett » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:11 am

I have to say that Costarican Tarrazu is my favorite coffee at a slightly before second crack roast. The only issue with it is that if you let is sit around awhile (a week or two) before you consume it it gets this really buttery taste that I don't care for too much.

Jamaican Blue Mountain is a waste of money and Kona is good but really expensive.
lewisbrett
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby stlbrewer » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:23 pm

Count Zero wrote:I love coffee and the darker and stronger the better. I used to use a french press exclusively but I got concerned about my cholesterol level. Do you gus that use the press have cholesterol concerns? I've heard that paper filters remove most of the cholesterol so that's what I use now but, man, there is no comparison to goos pressed coffee.

-Brian

Coffee shouldn't have cholesterol in it. Cholesterol comes only from animal products and coffee beans aren't an animal product. Are you thinking of something else?
stlbrewer
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Count Zero » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:20 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6242467/

quick search brought thid up
Brian
Trouble Brewing
Count Zero
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Russell » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:26 pm

Okay, so there may be some sustances in coffee that can induce higher levels of cholesterol in certain people. I'd say that six cups a day or more is overdoing it on coffee but certainley not on beer. I'm not worried about it personally, but people with high cholesterol levels may want to take notice. Also consider the source of the story, MSNBC, questionable.
Russell
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Count Zero » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:08 pm

I agree that anything "reported" by MSNBC is questionable but this is something I was told 10 years ago. All I did was google "cholesterol coffee". It was the first thing that came up followed by 102,934,367 other hits. I do have a borderline cholesterol problem. I'm also in great shape but I have made the sacrifice to the paper filter.
Brian
Trouble Brewing
Count Zero
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Russell » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:37 pm

I'm sincerley sorry to learn of your borderline cholesterol problem, but hey, at least you can still drink coffee with a paper filter.
Russell
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby stlbrewer » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:39 am

Count Zero wrote:I agree that anything "reported" by MSNBC is questionable but this is something I was told 10 years ago. All I did was google "cholesterol coffee". It was the first thing that came up followed by 102,934,367 other hits. I do have a borderline cholesterol problem. I'm also in great shape but I have made the sacrifice to the paper filter.

CZ - have you noticed any difference in your cholesterol levels by doing this? I don't know how much coffee you drink, but I'm interested to know if there's any change. I have borderline high as well, but I only drink about 6 cups/week, most of those either espresso or french press.
stlbrewer
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Previous

Return to Coffee Brewing