Grinder recommendation?

Blends, beans, brewing machines - all fair game!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Grinder recommendation?

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:31 pm

Can anyone recommend a really good grinder in the $75-125 range? I think I want a conical burr grinder but not sure which brands are good.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark

Postby ChrisL » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:48 pm

I can't recommend a good one, but I can recommend you stay away from the Hearthware burr grinder that only runs around 35. It really makes a mess and is a pain to clean.
On Tap: Pirate's Porter, Chocolate Imperial Stout, S.O.B.
Fermenting/Conditioning: Barleywine, IPA^2, 60 Schilling; Kolsch; Belgian Dubbel

It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
ChrisL
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:36 pm

I think I'm going to go with the Kitchenaid Pro-line. I did a lot of research and decided that I want one that's metal construction instead of plastic.
Mark
Mark

Postby fishy » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:00 am

Mark wrote:I think I'm going to go with the Kitchenaid Pro-line. I did a lot of research and decided that I want one that's metal construction instead of plastic.

Let me know how you like it, i have had my eye on it for a bit now.
fishy
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby Ginger » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:23 pm

If it's not too late, I can recommend the Capresso Infinity. I got the black model online for 89.00 or so, and it's held up well. I don't brew espresso, so it has all the grinding capability I need, with fairly easy cleanup, and not a huge static problem.
Ginger
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Triple Freak » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:44 pm

Try a Corona mill. Best damned coffee grinder on the market. Grinds several lbs at a time. :wink:
Triple Freak

Postby Lee Theuriet » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:14 pm

I like the Barista...much less static mess than most.

Lee
Lee Theuriet
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Traveller II Hand/Manual Grinder

Postby Chip » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:30 pm

I just ran across this forum and found this topic of immediate interest. I've been in the market for a good quality burr grinder for an almost singular use, grinding for a French Press.

I'd been using a Krups blade grinder which at best, produced a semi-uniform coarse grind. By quickly pulsing the power tab on the unit, I was able to moderate the speed of the blade and to a great extent, reduce heating of the beans in the grinding process. Worked okay at best.

Recently, I purchased a Cuisinart burr grinder and have used it a couple times. For the price, $49.99.00 US, it seems to provide a fairly uniform consistency in terms of a coarse grind although a bit of fine grind or dust is created in the process.

Having recently educated my self on burr grinders, 'conical' burrs are preferred to disk style grinders with reduced RPMs keeping temperatures lower and finished grinds being more uniform than those of disk or wheel style burr grinders such as the ones used on the Cuisinart. I'm looking into a Kitchenaid Proline conical grinder ($200.00 new retail) as there's been no shortage of very positive reviews from numerous coffee connoisseurs, including the self proclaimed geeks.

Long story short... Out of curiosity, I just purchased a Traveller 2 Hand coffee grinder at REI. With plenty of elbow grease and time (five minutes), this $30.00 grinder produced an unbelievalbe grind and one that offered me the finest cup of Columbian coffee I've ever had. I couldn't believe the quality and improvement in flavor & body as well as the aroma. Since I only grind on the weekends, for me, the sweat involved is easily overlooked. How long this inexpensive gem will last, I haven't a clue. If it can stand up for at least a years worth of weekend grinds while producing the sort of quality it delivered this morning, it'll be more than worth the very minimal investment.

Lastly, on those mornings where hand grinding's not in the cards, I'm hoping a soon to be delivered Kitchenaid KPCG 100NP ( $149.00 refurbished) conical grinder will be able to help make an equally tasty morning brew.
Chip
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Lee Theuriet » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:29 pm

I've had very good luck with the Barrista, from Starbucks...you can set it for a French Press grind, drip grind, or espresso grind (extremely fine). It cost around $100.00 and produces very little static. (Some burr grinders can static coffee grind all over the place). I grind each morning and roast weekly. I also am a fan of Colombian coffee.
Lee
Lee Theuriet
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Lee Theuriet » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:31 pm

OOOOOps.......Welcome to the forum.

Lee
Lee Theuriet
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Chip » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:13 pm

Lee Theuriet wrote:OOOOOps.......Welcome to the forum.

Lee

Thanks Lee, nice to be here. Columbian (including Supremo) has been a favorite of mine for sometime and a mainstay in my weekend morning rituals since I began using a press.

We're almost neighbors... I'm up in Sacramento

Dave
Chip
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Brewgonia » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:30 am

I had a Solis Maestro for some time. Yes, it does have a "static" issue but so do the rest. I used mine daily for about 18 months, did general cleaning until it stopped feeding beans. Then I got a little more serious, disassembled, sharpened - and it worked for another 6 months. At that point it just became unuseable. So, was it worth the price for 2 years of service? That's your call.

Now I use my Rocky Rancillo at the coarsest setting.
Brewgonia
On tap - B3 AG American Wheat
Next - B3 AG American Pale Ale
Brewgonia
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby MDixon » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:12 pm

I got a Grindmaster 875 for nostalgic purposes and find it to be excellent. It's odd that only certain beans give static going through it. I had a blade grinder, Krups or something, and had good, inconsistent, results using it, but the Grindmaster is perfect. I don't grind daily, I roast early in the week and grind that roast on the weekend and generally that amount of coffee is consumed in 5-6 days. If you can latch onto one of these beasts for a decent price and have the space, I would recommend it 100%.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Next

Return to Coffee Brewing