New B3 coffee Poll Monthly Sampler

Blends, beans, brewing machines - all fair game!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Would you purchase this?

Yes with no rotation and only offer a limited choice of samplers (more immediate choices, but LESS variety over the course of a year)
No votes
Yes but only if the beans in the sampler changed every month or 2 (fewer immediate choices, but MORE variety over the course of a year)
92%
no
8%

Total votes : 12

New B3 coffee Poll Monthly Sampler

Postby Brandon » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:07 pm

Would you buy a sampler pack to try different styles coffee? The sampler could be change every month or every two months depending on the popularity.
The sampler could consist of four different 1/2lb green beans. The beans could have a theme such as: Intro to Ethiopian beans (Ethiopian Sidamo, Ethiopian Yirgacheffe,Ethiopia Idido Misty Valley Dry Process, and Organic Natural Sidamo). Best Latin American Blends (Could include 2 of the 4 as a blend). I think you get the idea.

I think that the Sampler selection should include supplement reading with tasting notes, in depth favor analysis, food pairings, and maybe one suggested other bean to blend with.

Like I said in the other post I am just trying to get something fun going for us home roasters. I think it would be fun to look forward to what the folks at B3 would put together for us every month or 2. I know something like this would keep my interest.
http://www.embracethefunk.com <------ My sour beer website
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Embrace-T ... 471?ref=ts

The beer is probably enjoyed by less people than actually like it. -Me
Brandon
Addict (5000 posts)

Sounds great!

Postby MoreCoffee_Casey » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:31 pm

You know, this is something that's been in the works for quite a while. You've probably noticed that we've put a ton of new stuff on the website and if you've been to our warehouse, you've seen that we have just doubled (yes, doubled!) it.

So we've all been running around like a chicken with it's head cut off trying to do a million projects and this is one that I've been trying to get to for a long time.

The logistical problem is the 1/2 lb bags of coffee. If people didn't mind doing 1 lb bags of coffee, then it would be easier. Also, some of our coffees can come in and out of stock pretty quickly (sometimes we can only secure small amounts of really great coffees), so if we had a lot of sampler packs, it would be a lot of work to keep updating everything. But we've got some ideas on how to make this much easier and so we should be able to get it going soon.

Sampler Pack Ideas:

-Dark Roast
-Light Roast
-Latin American
-African
-Far East
-Low Acid
-High Acid
-Espresso

Any other ideas? This is one of my projects for this quarter so hopefully it will be available soon!

Thanks!
Casey
MoreCoffee!
800-600-0033
casey @ morecoffee.com
MoreCoffee_Casey
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:52 am

For me personally what I like about the sampler pack idea from Sweet Marias is that you aren't committing to an entire pound of coffee. I'd be more likely to buy a 4-8oz pack of something new just to try it and if I liked it then buy a pound. I guess the point of it for me was to get people to try new coffee beans without buying the whole pound.

Logistics are what they are and it just might not work for you guys. What if you only made a limited number of sampler packs and made it clear that when they were gone they're gone. Make them avaible the 1st of the month and even if you only have 20 available so be it. I have no idea how much coffee you guys sell so 20 might be way to small or way to big.
Mark
Mark

Postby Brandon » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:14 am

Casey thanks for the reply. Since I know that I would buy into a sampler I dont have a problem with there being a limited amount. Infact I think the limited is he way to go so you arent stuck with any left overs.

I liked the ideas of the sampler packs variety that you suggested

Brandon
Addict (5000 posts)

Thanks for the info

Postby MoreCoffee_Casey » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:34 am

Thanks for the input guys. It wouldn't be that hard to package a limited number of the samplers. I know they will sell fast too - we experimented with one last year and it went very quickly.

I will get on it!
Casey
MoreCoffee!
800-600-0033
casey @ morecoffee.com
MoreCoffee_Casey
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Brandon » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:55 am

as soon as you put it up for sale, I;m buying.

Brandon
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Homegrown Hops » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:47 pm

I am liking this idea more and more. How about a Fair trade sampler?

HH
Watermelon What?

21st Amendment
Homegrown Hops
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:51 am

I would definitely go for the samplers. I currently put together my own "sampler packs", either based on region or general style of coffee. I prefer 1# as a minimum purchase as my roasts are 8oz and this allows me to split each bean into a light and dark roast for testing and blending.

I like the idea of a low-acid sampler, it would cut out the research for me and sometimes I just need to keep the acid out of my tummy.

I would love regional samplers, but I would expect to see "Casey's Sampler" as well with his favorite picks from the lot, regardless of region and style.

I'm not sure if this is part of it, but a coffee of the month option would be sweet, with levels for 1#, 2#, 5#. I would probably start at 2# and move to 25# once I start roasting for my office. :0)
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Great Idea for the indecisive! That's me.

Postby calmicp90 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:05 am

I would love to buy sampler packs. I like the idea of grouping light roasts and dark roast, regions are good too. Grouping coffees based on it dominant taste, such as ones that have a more chocolate essence is another concept.
"Stay safe out there."
"Others stupidity is my job security."
"Seat belts really do save lives - buckle up."
calmicp90
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Lee Theuriet » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:38 am

I like the idea of a sampler also. I've been roasting Colombian - El Jordan for so long I'm in a rut. I'd love to experiment with other coffees from around the world. The sampler should come with Casey's cupping results and what to expect at what degree of roast (ie., City+, Full City, Vienna, etc).

As a sidebar, does anyone use a cleaner to run through their drip coffee brewer? My coffee is starting to taste "ho-hum" and I am wondering if a monthly or so regime would be in order...

Lee
Lee Theuriet
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Brandon » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:35 pm

I have on occasion run a light mixture of PBW through mine. That maybe good or bad, I have never noticed any off tastes so it must be working

Brandon
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby swede sd » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:52 am

about once a year, instead of ordering 5 or 10 lbs of one or two kinds of coffee, I order 5 or 10 different coffees in 1 lb bags. Its fun to roast half cup batches in the air popper just to see what I come up with, then when I hit a good one, I reorder right away to get a larger amount from the same batch. -----------a sampler pack is a good idea, but I would like to see it in 1 lb bags at a reduced price (like at 5, or 25lb pricing.)--------from a marketing stand point, it sounds like a great way to get rid of some crappie beans. (only kidding)
swede sd
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Woody » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:22 pm

Im new at this roasting thing but I do like the sample packs. :? It will give me more beans to try without having to get a pound and not like it.
Woody
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Coffee Brewing