coffee maker help.

Blends, beans, brewing machines - all fair game!

Moderator: Moderator Team

coffee maker help.

Postby BrewGuy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:45 pm

I'm hoping someone can help shed some light on my problem. I recently got a new pot, mr. coffee fttx85, and my coffee really sucks. It seems no matter what I try it comes out very bitter tasting.

I'm using a brita pitcher to filter the water and I've tried a few different brands of coffee, both of which I've had success with my old maker and the french press.

I seem to get the best (still bad) results with 1 Tbsp per 6oz, I tried 2Tbsp for the starbucks brand and it was not drinkable. This maker also has a strong or regular strength setting, I've tried both with virtually the same end result.

Do you think I need to clean it better? Is it possible this thing just will not make a good cup of coffee? Oh I'm also using paper filters if that makes any difference, could it possibly not be draining fast enough??

After shelling out like $50 for this thing I'm rather agrivated.

Any ideas?
BrewGuy
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:28 pm

Sounds strange. I've never heard of paper filters causing this problem. I've never had issues with cleaning new coffee makers either, just run a few rounds of water through and that's all I ever did.

Is it possible that the coffee maker is too efficient and you are unknowingly overloading it?
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby BrewGuy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:38 pm

I honestly have no idea. I thought that bitterness was caused by too few grounds and trying to extract too much flavor from them? I thought the answer to that was to use more coffee, I'm just at a loss.

After reading the reviews on epinions I'm wishing I didn't buy it, all the things they complain about I hate as well.
BrewGuy
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Brandon » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:56 pm

Can you return it and swap for another one or get your money back?

When I dont french press I use this one http://www.joingevalia.com/promo/Gev060 ... ode=113976

Just cancel your membership during your first month and you just got a great coffee maker, filters, 2lbs of cofee, and whatever other freebies they have all for $20.
http://www.embracethefunk.com <------ My sour beer website
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Embrace-T ... 471?ref=ts

The beer is probably enjoyed by less people than actually like it. -Me
Brandon
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Brewgonia » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:59 am

It may be that the coffee maker is not getting the water hot enough to extract all the oils.

On my french press I heat the water to boiling in a tea pot and it seems to work fine.
Brewgonia
On tap - B3 AG American Wheat
Next - B3 AG American Pale Ale
Brewgonia
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby BrewGuy » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:35 am

Update,

I've ran a few more batches through it, some just water. I also picked up some new coffee and things are tasting much, much better. Hopefully it will continue to be good.

I don't know if I could return it after use or not, it seems to be working ok now though.

Thanks for the tips.
BrewGuy
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Return to Coffee Brewing