Drip Coffee Maker Recommendation

Blends, beans, brewing machines - all fair game!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Drip Coffee Maker Recommendation

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:42 pm

I want to buy a new coffee pot and I'm looking for some advice. I've heard good things about the Bunn machines but don't want to have water hot and ready 24/7. I like my coffee HOT and I know the ideal temp for brewing is 190-200F.

Anyone have a maker that you would highly recommend?
Mark
Mark

Postby waltbop22 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:44 am

A bit pricey for what it is.....but

http://www.cw-usa.com/equipment-commerc ... 785xl.html
Walt
waltbop22
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:45 am

Nice Walt, but no. <$150.
Mark
Mark

Postby waltbop22 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:34 am

Don't you have a grinder that costs more than that???? :lol:
Walt
waltbop22
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:03 am

You're not helping.

I've been looking at This

Need to do some more research on it though.
Mark
Mark

Postby MDixon » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:28 am

We've been pleased with a Mr. Coffee with an adjustable temp warming plate we purchased from Kohls a few years back. Our criteria was 12 cup capacity at the time and one that was affordable. Now I do not see where any of their models have the warming plate feature. Of course it probably does not fit your 200F criteria.

I would think you could find a used commercial grade Bunn Pour-O-Matic, but they make coffee instantly so you MUST have two carafes. New they go for $280. Actually I found a new one for less than $200
http://www.abestkitchen.com/store/bunn-products.html
I've used the white plastic bun (kinda a crappy warming plate) in an office, and the commercial Pour-O-Matic and their Urn in restaurant settings and all have performed well.
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:37 am

I just got back from Target where I looked at a 10cup Bunn and I thought it had two nagitives inspite of all the positive things I've read;

1) Pretty cheaply made from $120, the lid doesn't even rest firmly on the carafe.

2) I'm not sure I like having to keep the unit plugged in and hot 24/7.

I really like the Technivorn and it's very highly rated at coffeegeeks. But $200 seems like a lot of money. Then again if I'm going to spend $120-150 on a Krups, Cuisinart, Bunn, etc. I'd probably be better off spending the extra $$.

We'll see what the bonus looks like at the end of the month and go from there. For now I'll continue to use the French press and Braun.

Anyone have any experience with the Technivorn machines?
Mark
Mark

Postby waltbop22 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:52 am

I've owned two Bunn's (non commercial brand) and they are inexpensively made. Having a heating element on 24/7 does run up the electric bill. The Technivorn seems to fit your criteria of a thermal carafe and has a good rep.
Walt
waltbop22
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Ginger » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:06 pm

I just broke down and bought a Techivorm KTBS (8 cup thermal carafe) and I must say I'm pleased. Coffee brews fast, and at 200 degrees. With a gold permanent filter, I'm getting flavors from my homeroasted coffee that I never did with my old drip machine. If there's more than one coffee drinker in your household, be sure to spend the extra 10.00 or so for the 10 cup model.
Ginger
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Lee Theuriet » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:56 am

If you like drip brewers, the Technivorm is my choice. The secret is the 1475 w heater. As the blurb states, most coffee makers are around 1100w and don't get the water hot enough for that perfect cup. I think the best cup is produced by glass vacuum...but that said and convenience a priority...the drip brewer Technivorm is my choice.

Lee
Lee Theuriet
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby rplace » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:13 am

I am not expert, but got this on the recomendation of a coffee snob. It makes coffee better then any other I have owned. No hot plate on it to burn your coffee as you wait for your 2nd cup.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/coffee/c ... 00BC.shtml
rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:33 pm

I tend to stear clear of the combo items. Very seldom do they do both things well. I ended up with a Braun KF600. It had very good reviews and I've been extremely happy with the Braun I have now but wanted a thermal carafe. I bought it local since I was worried it would produce a luke warm pot of coffee and needed to be abel to return it easily. The coffee on the pot is 181F when it's done brewing 10cups. It's a keeper! And I got it at Bed Bath and Beyond so I got 20% off.
Mark
Mark

Re: Drip Coffee Maker Recommendation

Postby johntep10 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:42 am

There are different types of thermal coffee makers available I think they are best.If you like to keep your coffee hot without ruining its flavor then a thermal coffee maker might be the answer. These are ordinary drip coffee makers with one difference: they have a specially designed carafe with double wall insulating system. This insulation system ensures that heat does not escape and get lost like it does with typical glass carafe.
johntep10
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Re:

Postby pclemon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:16 am

Mark wrote:You're not helping.

I've been looking at This

Need to do some more research on it though.

I use a Keurig machine (single cup) that's actually pretty good... but interestingly I was watching a food show on PBS just last night where they were reviewing coffee makers. They stated the ideal water temp was 195-205 and the ideal brew time for a full pot was 6 minutes. The company you list in the link above was the ONLY one that came close - and they had at least 10 other machines they looked at. The price, and lack of a timer, were the only things they listed as drawbacks.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: Drip Coffee Maker Recommendation

Postby gfoster » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:14 am

Yep, that is the right temp range. FWIW, as far as I know there are only two home drip coffee makers that are approved by the SCAA (specialty coffee association of america) and they are the technivorm and the Newco OCS series.

I had a newco OCS-12 that I *really* liked. However it started leaking and I replaced it with a cheapo walmart special until I can get a new one ordered.

-- Gary F.
Primary: empty
Tap 1: California Creamin'
Tap 2: empty

All my recipes: Buen Perro Brewing
gfoster
Site Admin

Next

Return to Coffee Brewing