Pulled the trigger on a dripper today

Blends, beans, brewing machines - all fair game!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pulled the trigger on a dripper today

Postby cooldaddybeck » Thu May 24, 2007 9:21 pm

Picked up this one with an order i placed for some books.

Sure, it's a refurb, but a $150 machine for under $30, and it does the grinding on it's own. Can't complain about that price at all.

Just received my next 6 llbs of coffee today via UPS as well. Heading out tomorrow, but looking forward to roasting and brewing (french press can be a pain) next weekend.

:0)
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Thanks for the link . . .

Postby djbrewer » Sat May 26, 2007 4:40 pm

Hey, thanks for the link. I rolled the dice and ordered one as well. Owners' reviews seem to indicate a 'love it or leave it' machine and that there's a reason its factory reconditioned. I remember when these were 'the newest fangled thing' and selling for well over a $100 at the local Costco.
By the time you read this, you have already read it.
djbrewer
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Beach Brewer » Sat May 26, 2007 10:03 pm

I have the same one except it's the stainless model with the programmable grinder/brewer. I've had it for about 2 years now and still like it. It does have problems but it still makes a great pot of coffee.
-Bryan
Batches Brewed: 100

"..and I will make it felony to drink small beer." --Shakespeare's Henry VI
Beach Brewer

Postby cooldaddybeck » Sun May 27, 2007 9:38 pm

For $27 and change, I could care less if it's a refurb. Besides, that just means the kinks are already worked out... :wink:

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck

Postby clubba51 » Tue May 29, 2007 6:30 pm

I have the stainless model and only have it still because the old lady likes it. My preference is vaccum press, but like the french press, it too is a mess to clean. Taste cannot be beat though!
Cheers,

Ryan
On-Tap: Nothing!
On-Deck: Sweetness #34 Stout, I <3 IPA
In the Hole:
http://www.myhomebrews.com
clubba51
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Thu May 31, 2007 8:56 am

I looked at one yesterday at Lowe's (mine should arrive today or tomorrow). I guess I'll have to deal with the blade grinder vs burr in exchange for convenience.

~SWMBO

cooldaddybeck

Postby cooldaddybeck » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:39 am

It arrived yesterday. I roasted up some Peru Norte yesterday afternoon and just kicked off the first pot of coffee a couple minutes ago. (ran a pot of water through the machine yesterday to clean it out).

I thought it would be louder, it really wasn't that bad and shouldn't wake up everyone upstairs.

~SWMBO

cooldaddybeck

Postby Tim » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:59 am

I have the silver model too. I like it, but stopped using the grinder in it. I didn't think it did even as good a job as my regular grinder (I don't have a burr grinder, but I have more control when I do it myself). I am curious whether you come to the same conclusion after using it for a while.
Tim
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Beach Brewer » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:58 pm

I don't much like the grinder either. It gets clogged too fast and I don't really like the grind. I'd like to get a burr grinder eventually and stop using the one in this coffeemaker.
-Bryan
Batches Brewed: 100

"..and I will make it felony to drink small beer." --Shakespeare's Henry VI
Beach Brewer

Postby MDixon » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:03 pm

I just posted on the grinder thread about my Grindmaster 875. It's a beast of a machine but puts out a beauty of a grind.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:12 pm

I haven't noticed any major issues with the built-in grinder. I use it when I'm too lazy to pre-grind my beans the night before...which is most of the time.

~SWMBO

cooldaddybeck

Return to Coffee Brewing