Wish me luck

Blends, beans, brewing machines - all fair game!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Wish me luck

Postby gfoster » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:10 pm

Well, I just got done modding my silvia espresso machine. I installed a PID to control the brewing temperature, so no more temperature surfing for me. I'm letting it come up to temp now and going to let it run a bit to make sure I didn't mess up the wiring and end up setting something on fire, and I'll give it a good shake down cruise tomorrow morning.

Sure looking forward to being able to nail shots back to back without having to surf anymore, woo hoo!

-- Gary F.
Primary: empty
Tap 1: California Creamin'
Tap 2: empty

All my recipes: Buen Perro Brewing
gfoster
Site Admin

Postby cguntzviller » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:21 am

Good luck with that Gary, have the fire extingusher handy :wink:
For some reason espresso never really appealed to me. I love straight black coffee, but thats about it.
John at Right Brain brewery brewed up a Chocolate/Espresso/Oatmeal stout that is phenominal. I can drink several of those, but when it comes to straight espresso, no can do :?

-Crut
They call me Crut
I brew for the schnittz and giggles
**BREW STRONG**
cguntzviller
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Location: Northern MI, Hold up your left hand(palm away), where the tip of your pinky touches your ring finger

Postby gfoster » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:10 am

PID installation went in without a hitch. It was a little bit of an involved task and took me around an hour, but the kit from Auber was *excellent*. They included a CD with several PDF's on it and a long instruction manual (in PDF) with very detailed directions and pictures of each step. The connectors were all included, no soldering involved. I had no problems at all, took my time and was careful with each step. It's not particularly hard but you do need to pay close attention to detail.

Honestly I was a little nervous tearing into my expensive espresso machine but it went without a hitch and it looks very professional. The MLG kits mount the display on the side of the machine, sticking out like a wing and I didn't like that at all. The auber kits mount in between the portafilter and the steamwand and look very much like they have always been there. I'll post pics of the finished unit when I get home tonight.

I pulled back to back shots this morning to test it and the shot temp restabilized within about 40 secs. It was great being able to precisely control it. Wasn't the best shots I've ever done, but it was far better than the ones yesterday that I surfed. Now that I can precisely dial in the temp I can concentrate on my grind and tamp. Nice thing is that altough it doesn't control steam temp it does allow you to monitor it so you can catch your boiler at about 270 or so and start steaming before it turns the heater back off. That lets you get the best steam pressure throughout the cycle. Normally if you catch it at the wrong time and let the heater kick back off, the temp will drop all the way back down to 240 or so before it kicks the boiler back on. The way to get the best steam out of her (and she has a LOT of steam power if you use her correctly) is to catch her at the top of the cycle just before she kicks the heater off and this kit makes that part easy as pie.

They also did detailed temp studies and included a complete lab report on the CD with graphs and data correlating boiler temp to shot temp at the grouphead. It was quite detailed. The quality of the kit was top notch and it sure beats trying to source and find all the parts and then program the PID myself. Oh, they custom program the pid especially for the Silvia too, to take into account all the variables of the finicky wench.

If you have an older Silvia (made before september 2006) you can control the temp within a tenth of a degree. I have one of these models, but I didn't flip it over to .1 mode, because I'm not *that* anal about it (shut up lol) and 1 degree control is fine for me. Man it sure makes the process a lot easier, that's for sure.

Two thumbs up for the Auber kits. Plus the resale value on my Silvia just went way up heh.

-- Gary F.
Primary: empty
Tap 1: California Creamin'
Tap 2: empty

All my recipes: Buen Perro Brewing
gfoster
Site Admin

Return to Coffee Brewing