Batch sparge or Fly?

Blends, beans, brewing machines - all fair game!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Batch sparge or Fly?

Postby fossilsrocks » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:18 am

Wouldn't using a French press to make your coffee be like batch sparging & using a drip machine be like fly sparging? Is one any better than the other, or are they just different? Is oversparging ever an issue? Are there pH issues at the end of a drip cycle? How important is manifold/filter design?

If we are going to discuss this stuff in this kind of depth for beer brewing, shouldn't we do so for coffee?
Scott

You should go fishing; it is good for the soul. Have you ever heard of a single Nazi who liked to fish? You can't trust people who don't fish. We need to teach our House & Senate members to fish. Those who don't want to should be used for bait.
fossilsrocks
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: Batch sparge or Fly?

Postby fossilsrocks » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:19 am

I'm disappointed in you coffee geeks....
Scott

You should go fishing; it is good for the soul. Have you ever heard of a single Nazi who liked to fish? You can't trust people who don't fish. We need to teach our House & Senate members to fish. Those who don't want to should be used for bait.
fossilsrocks

Postby fossilsrocks » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:11 am

REALLY?!? There aren't any coffee guys here that are as serious about their passion as the beer brewers are? :shock: I thought I posted some good, thought provoking questions that if answered would benefit many of us.

/VERY disappointed
Scott

fossilsrocks

Postby landarc » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:40 pm

Scott,
As a long time coffee snob, but, this is the first time I have wandered this far down the forum, I can give you some insight to my thinking.

French Press, drip, and machinetta are all interesting and offer differing flavor profiles. As I do prefer steeped coffee to soaked or steamed, I go with the French press. I am fascinated with the Clover process for coffee, but, have not seen one in the area I live.

Drip coffee is, of course, the fastest way to make a lot of coffee, so I have a machine for that. I do not believe it gets it hot enough, but, that is my fault for not buying a new machine. I think it makes a more bitter cup. Oddly, while l love a nice hoppy beer, I do not want bitter coffee.

The machinetta, which I have been informed is not real expresso and should not be called such, makes a nice cup. It is a bit of a bother, and kinda slow.

For me, it all comes down to the bean. I used to much prefer Peet's. I drank Peet's from 1974 on. I still go there. But, I think they have darkened their roast in a silly response to Starbucks and I think they have lost some character as a result. I really need to get into coffee roasting someday. But, I have a list of beer stuff I still need. And I found a local roaster that roasts coffee to my liking.
is Drinking-Chocolate Stout, Root Beer Ale
is Conditioning-nothing

symptom: beer unusually pale and tasteless
flaw: glass is empty
action: get someone to fill your glass

http://smoke-n-brew.blogspot.com/
landarc
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:10 pm

All good questions. I am a coffee rookie; but just got my first French press and have finally gotten the right temp/grind/amount variations down to where I think it is an excellent tasting coffee. Perhaps the best addition I made was to start heating my water in a kettle on the stove - I just could not get it right by heating the water in the microwave.
I do agree that it is like batch sparging. I also have quit boiling the crap out of my tea since I started brewing and sparge the tea bags with water rather than "mashing" them with a spoon to get the last oz of tea out.
Yes, I believe my coffee and tea brewing has improved as a result of learning the brewing process.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Pale Ale
Kegged: Brown Ale, Sweet Stout, IPA, Blonde Ale, Vienna Lager
tookalisten

Postby landarc » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:02 pm

I know bring my water to just under the boil, 202 to 205 degrees F. I add the medium fine grind to a glass vessel pre-warmed with hot water. I add the water, stir four time with a wooden dowel, counter-clockwise, let the swirling water slow. Pour into the french press and plunge. Pour the water into a room temperature mug. The best flavor is nowhere near boiling.
is Drinking-Chocolate Stout, Root Beer Ale
is Conditioning-nothing

symptom: beer unusually pale and tasteless
flaw: glass is empty
action: get someone to fill your glass

http://smoke-n-brew.blogspot.com/
landarc
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby The Beer Baron » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:03 pm

I french press because it is cheap... and tasty!
primary: Scottish Ale (80/-)
on tap: -
on deck: Apfelwein!
SLAINTE! -Mike
The Beer Baron
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby majorvices » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:52 pm

French Press makes a better cup of coffee. If you have a good drip machine that can make a fine cup of coffee, but it won;t be as bold as the FP.

I like the analogy of batch and fly sparge. Great one Scott!!
Prost! - Keith
majorvices
Addict (5000 posts)

Return to Coffee Brewing