French Press

Blends, beans, brewing machines - all fair game!

Moderator: Moderator Team

French Press

Postby BrewBum » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:54 am

So, I am looking at getting a french press. I fired the air popper/roaster up this weekend and forgot how much I liked that.

I have never used a french press before and I have heard talk of temperature. Can't you just put a pot in a tea kettle and when it whistles it is ready? Is that too hot?

Tips and hints would be great!
Nate
Guess what... I got a fever and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
http://www.Nebraskabeerblog.com
BrewBum

Re: French Press

Postby Liquid Bread » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:09 am

BrewBum wrote:So, I am looking at getting a french press. I fired the air popper/roaster up this weekend and forgot how much I liked that.

I have never used a french press before and I have heard talk of temperature. Can't you just put a pot in a tea kettle and when it whistles it is ready? Is that too hot?

Tips and hints would be great!

Supposedly near boiling water is a little too hot. If I recall correctly 190 is about right. You could probably bring the water to a boil and then let it sit for a couple minutes before pouring it.

My method is to pour the hot water over the ground coffee, stir with a spoon, and let rest for 4 minutes. I then wiggle the press to get the coffee granules to drop before pressing. Pour, drink, smile. :)
Adrian Avgerinos
Homebrew Newbie
Liquid Bread
Keg (750 posts)

Postby sacredtheory » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:30 am

That's pretty much what I do. I boil water in the kettle, and then turn off the heat. In the five minutes it takes me to get out the beans, but them in the bean grinder, grind them up, put them in the french press, and wash out the bean grinder, the boiled water is now a little cooler.
I'll mix the water with the bean in the french press, wait five minutes, come back and give it one more good stir, and then press.

By the way, french press coffee, while a little bit more in-depth and time consuming, is absolutely awesome. I always make french press coffee on the weekends.
Jared

Alright brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, so just get me through this exam so I can go back to killing you slowly with beer. -- Homer Simpson
sacredtheory
Keg (750 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:04 pm

The French Press is what got me back hooked on coffee. I also use my steam kettle and typically pour when it starts to steam (before it whistles). I have never taken a temp; but this seems to be about right to me.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Pale Ale
Kegged: Brown Ale, Sweet Stout, IPA, Blonde Ale, Vienna Lager
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby theisenm85 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:01 pm

French presses are awesome, and generally the way to go if you're not spending $500 plus bucks. (If you don't mind a minute bit of grounds in your cup) I've heard from a number of sources that baristas (the serious kind that make legit espresso) generally prefer french presses for home coffee brewing.

For brewing temp... 195-200ish is supposed to be optimal. However, just like beer, strike temp is important. You will lose some degrees just by pouring and because your coffee starts out at ambient temp. I wait about a minute after boil and then pour. You mileage may vary. I'm not saying you need to get the thermometer out.... but if you're like me, maybe you do. :P
Brew strong
Mike Theisen - Coffee Marketing/Sales, Showroom
http://www.morecoffee.com
theisenm85
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby vw addict » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:37 am

theisenm85 wrote: I've heard from a number of sources that baristas (the serious kind that make legit espresso) generally prefer french presses for home coffee brewing.

Hmmm, as a former Barista for years I prefer espresso at home to french pressed. But I guess that depends on your machine and process, you can turn out some truly hideous espresso at home. The safer and easier bet is the french press for sure. Not to say that the french press doesn't make a great cup, I'm just hooked on rocket fuel. And on the weekends when I have the time I like spending it crafting some shots, it's kinda therapeutic. I guess since it's also not my daily job anymore it makes it a bit easier to want to do it. :wink:
vw addict
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby rplace » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:48 am

Attention all FP users. I got one at the office gift exchange and ever since x-mass I have been using it and really digging the coffee. Recently I noticed my teeth seem to have a lot more stain on them. A few weeks back I got my teeth cleaned and my hiegentist said I have never seen your teeth so stained and dark. I am drinking about the same ammount of red wine, nothing else has changed diet wise. I am brushing my teeth the same as always.

It is a four cup press and I typically drink most or all of the pot each day. Takes a bit of effort but worth it for sure. I actually like the little bit of grit.

:?: Anyone else see a connection between French press use and dirty teeth :?:

:?
rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby landarc » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:27 pm

rplace wrote:Attention all FP users. I got one at the office gift exchange and ever since x-mass I have been using it and really digging the coffee. Recently I noticed my teeth seem to have a lot more stain on them. A few weeks back I got my teeth cleaned and my hiegentist said I have never seen your teeth so stained and dark. I am drinking about the same ammount of red wine, nothing else has changed diet wise. I am brushing my teeth the same as always.

It is a four cup press and I typically drink most or all of the pot each day. Takes a bit of effort but worth it for sure. I actually like the little bit of grit.

:?: Anyone else see a connection between French press use and dirty teeth :?:

:?

Close your mouth when cycling, the bugs are staining your grille.
is Drinking-Chocolate Stout, Root Beer Ale
is Conditioning-nothing

symptom: beer unusually pale and tasteless
flaw: glass is empty
action: get someone to fill your glass

http://smoke-n-brew.blogspot.com/
landarc
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby 660zcar » Wed May 06, 2009 1:02 pm

i use a large amount of course ground coffee and poor 190 deg. water over it, steep for 3.5-4 min and press. its fantastic.

if you steep too long or use to hot of water you will extract more acidity from the coffee, so if you want a rich smooth flavor it takes a lot of coffee
660zcar
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby moose021 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:39 pm

Our founding fathers set up America to be a Representative Republic. Citizens of sound mind and judgement to operate this Government. Unfortunately over the decades, sound mind and judgement has become a bygone value.
Canada goose jakke are fashionable men and women’s favorite, Heart went to canada goose danmark buy online shop!
moose021
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby beertron » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:14 am

moose021 wrote:Our founding fathers set up America to be a Representative Republic. Citizens of sound mind and judgement to operate this Government. Unfortunately over the decades, sound mind and judgement has become a bygone value.

what temp do you french press at wise man?
let there be beer

Tap #1 - Blueberry Biere de Garde
Tap #2 - Biere de Garde
Tap #3 - Foreign Extra Stout
Tap #4 - American Pale Ale
Tap #5 - Traditional Bock
Bottled: Oaked Barleywine, Brown Porter, Belgian Pale Ale
Carbonating: Chai Spiced Weizenbock
Conditioning: German Pils
Fermenting:
Brewing: American Barleywine (12-17-12)
beertron