Cool blends?

Share your favorite blends with the forum!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Cool blends?

Postby MoreCoffee_Casey » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:46 pm

Anyone have any nice blends they'd like to share with the forum?
Casey
MoreCoffee!
800-600-0033
casey @ morecoffee.com
MoreCoffee_Casey
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Kinsman » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:52 pm

Well,
I hope somebody does....I have roasted exactly one batch of beans (in a popcorn popper) and I would like to do more. Just need to learn and experiment.
Chris
Long Riders Bar~B~Que
Kinsman
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby Homegrown Hops » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:24 pm

I like equal parts Yemen mocca and Indonesian Java aka Mocca Java. Be careful with this stuff though. it gives me the shakes.

Cheers,
HH
Watermelon What?

21st Amendment
Homegrown Hops
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:39 pm

I can't wait to start roasting and trying out different blends.

When you blend, do you roast the beans together or combine them with the grind? What variances are brought about through combined roasting that you wouldn't see when combining post-roast?
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby HomeBrewGuy » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:49 pm

I tasted an excellent blend just yesterday. 75% French Roast and 25% Columbian. Very rich and tasty!
Mike in SoCal
Brewmaster
Brothers Backyard Brewing West
HomeBrewGuy
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby James201 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:27 am

kewl topic guys :) :)
God bless America!
James201
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby mr.so.brewer » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:29 pm

Are those post or pre roast blends?
Done buy what other people make.
Make it yourself!
mr.so.brewer
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Homegrown Hops » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:47 pm

I measure out equal parts pre-roast and combine the beans for storage. I am sure that there is variance in the blend but it all tastes good.

HH
Watermelon What?

21st Amendment
Homegrown Hops
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby mr.so.brewer » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:13 am

Oh yea there can be a big difference, but one isnt better than the other. Take Mikes 75/25 blend, French Roast is typically roasted darker and the Colombian is roasted lighter. They will have very different notes post and preblendend.

Yours on the ohter hand will have different but very similar notes b/c they are typically roasted darker.
Done buy what other people make.
Make it yourself!
mr.so.brewer
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Lee Theuriet » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:10 pm

I pretty much do a french roast most of the time with my Z & D roaster....75% Nicaraguan and 25% Mexican Estate.

Lee
Lee Theuriet
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby swede sd » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:42 am

I have been roasting for some time now. It has been my experience that it is best to roast befor you blend. Different beans roast differently. For example, a columbian will roast to venia in the same amount of time that a kenya takes to roast to city. which might not be the best roasts for eather bean. Roast first, blend befor brew. I dont care for blends, because I like to drink a diffenent coffee each morning. There are too many coffees to settle for just one taste.----------I also have 5 different beers on tap.----------No bad beer, only different beer.--Its the same for coffee and for bbq. No bad, only different.
swede sd
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby cooldaddybeck » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:26 pm

This week/next week I'm drinking a 50/50 blend of light city and full city Mexican Chiapas. I think it's a kickin' blend, with curves in all the right places.

:0)

If I was going to take it one way or the other, I'd probably go with the light city first before going dark all the way. I'm partial to the lighter roasts and their flavors though.
Water, Grain, Hops, Yeast: combine, age, consume.

"You remind me of that scene from Zoolander....the one where the male models are dancing while spraying each other with gasoline..."
~SWMBO

"If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident. " ~Derek Zoolander
cooldaddybeck
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Return to Great blends