barleywine stalled fermentation

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

barleywine stalled fermentation

Postby KTbrew » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:18 pm

I have a barleywine/strong ale which stopped fermenting at 1.028. I'd defiantly like to get it down further. I started it off on a yeast cake and re-pitched when it was at about 1.050. O.G. was 1.095. A portion of the wort was soured with lacto prior to boiling so it does have a little acidity to it.

Do any of you have recommendations on what yeast would work well to get this fermented out a little better? I'm thinking probably a wine yeast. Or maybe there's a great ale yeast that I don't know about yet which would work well?
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Re: barleywine stalled fermentation

Postby Denny » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:49 am

KTbrew wrote:I have a barleywine/strong ale which stopped fermenting at 1.028. I'd defiantly like to get it down further. I started it off on a yeast cake and re-pitched when it was at about 1.050. O.G. was 1.095. A portion of the wort was soured with lacto prior to boiling so it does have a little acidity to it.

Do any of you have recommendations on what yeast would work well to get this fermented out a little better? I'm thinking probably a wine yeast. Or maybe there's a great ale yeast that I don't know about yet which would work well?

In the first place, 1.028 is a great FG for a 1.095 BW. How do you know there are any fermentables left? Do a forced fermentation test. If that shows you still have fermentables, then you can worry about yeast. But I think it's as likely that it's done as stuck.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Re: barleywine stalled fermentation

Postby KTbrew » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:14 am

Denny wrote:
KTbrew wrote:In the first place, 1.028 is a great FG for a 1.095 BW. How do you know there are any fermentables left? Do a forced fermentation test. If that shows you still have fermentables, then you can worry about yeast. But I think it's as likely that it's done as stuck.

I was worried that might be the case. I like to get my bigger beers like this down to around 1.020. I usually don't have any problems with it. But, I usually don't boil for three hours. This one just comes across as a little too sweet to me. I'm toying with the idea of adding brettanomyces.
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Return to Fermentation