How to make a yeast starter

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: How to make a yeast starter

Postby b33rm4chine » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:54 am

I don't have a pressure cooker or used canned wort. I saw some questions that didn't ever get answered about Malta Goya so here's what I've been doing. I use that fermented beverage Malta Goya all the time now. It's about $3 a six pack. It tastes just like wort, I can't imagine why anyone would really drink this but whatever. My typical process is to add 4-6 12 oz bottles & equal amount of water right to the carboy then pitch the yeast and a dash of nutrient (fermaid k). I think in that ratio the gravity is about 1.035. If it were to go in a growler I might just put an airlock on and let it settle for awhile before pitching because of all the CO2 that's already in it. I usually get it started 6-8 hours before adding the cooled wort. More time would be better, but I usually bottle and brew in the same day so that's when the carboy becomes available. I guess I could start it in growlers earlier in the week and I just might do that next time. But until then, I give the carboy a good shake or swirl every time I walk by it to keep the yeast in suspension. Seems to work ok. Not as quick of a start as pitching on a yeast cake, but that's another easy way to make a starter. It's comparable to Dark Liquid Extract in my opinion, so if you're making a beer that it would affect the flavor profile I guess you'd want to start it a lot earlier, chill it, and decant the liquid. There's no detectable bitterness or hop flavor.
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know." - Donald Rumsfeld
b33rm4chine
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby imlne » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:06 am

I am brewing this weekend. So normally I make a yeast starter from a vile of WL. Today I did something different, I used the slurry I collected from my previous batch (CA ale yeast). Mr. Malty said to pitch 3.3 oz into my wort to ferment it.
So, this is what I did to make my starter with slurry

I made a 2 liter solution with 200 grams of DME
I cooled the solution down to 68 degrees.
I transfered it from my pot into my container.
I aerated it for 2 min with O2
I added 5 oz of slurry
I placed an airlock on the container, placed it onto a stir plate in the fridge.

My major question is, did I do the process OK?
Pete
imlne
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby chris-x1 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:47 am

Forgive me as I tend to work in grams when it comes to yeast but google tells me thats 142g.

Given a reasonable viability, that should be more than enough to ferment 6 US gallons of moderate gravity wort without making a starter and in a 2L starter it will more than exceed the amount required to ferment that out so you wont be seeing any new growth (so you're basically turning old yeast into older yeast).

If you're using slurry i'd follow Mr Malties advice and pitch the calculated weight of slurry direct into your wort if its fresh. If it's not i'd take a tsp or two of your slurry it and make a starter as you describe.

It's difficult to tell how much slurry to use in a starter though as you don't really know how many cells there are in there and how viable they are.

When you do make starters though you should swirl them up as often as you can/whenever you get a chance, to keep the yeast in suspension andmaximise yeast growth.
chris-x1
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Roger456 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:02 am

an ounce is also a measure of volume...
Roger456
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby pclemon » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:11 am

Roger456 wrote:an ounce is also a measure of volume...

In what circumstance/how? I've only ever known it as a measure of mass.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby chris-x1 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:33 am

I'd guess that's refering to fluid ounces.
chris-x1
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby WingStall » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:02 am

pclemon wrote:

An ounce can refer to weight or volume (same term, different noninterchangable meanings), but never mass. The seldom used Troy Ounce is a unit of mass in the English system.

In the relatively constant gravity of Earth, 1 ounce (weight) = 0.911 Troy Ounce.

#8.
Cheers, Andy
WingStall

Postby pclemon » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:15 am

WingStall wrote:
pclemon wrote:

An ounce can refer to weight or volume (same term, different noninterchangable meanings), but never mass. The seldom used Troy Ounce is a unit of mass in the English system.

In the relatively constant gravity of Earth, 1 ounce (weight) = 0.911 Troy Ounce.

#8.

OK, so it's been a while since I took a science class (even then I always used to confuse Mass & weight).

An ounce is a very distinct and different measure from a fluid ounce though, is it not?
Pete
pclemon

Postby WingStall » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:19 am

Yes. An ounce is weight and an ounce is volume, but they are entirely distinct terms with the same name. Sometimes an ounce (volume) is called a fluid ounce for clarity.
Cheers, Andy
WingStall

Postby pclemon » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:22 am

WingStall wrote:Yes. An ounce is weight and an ounce is volume, but they are entirely distinct terms with the same name. Sometimes an ounce (volume) is called a fluid ounce for clarity.

Just like a pound can be many different things in casual conversation - it's the prefix that lets you know spefically what one is talking about. :)
Pete
pclemon

Postby imlne » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:50 pm

So I don't have to make a yeast starter when I pitch the yeast from a slurry? The slurry smells like normal yeast and it looks OK.

Mr. Malty says I need about 118ml of slurry, so thats about 1/2 cup. Does that sound right? Do I have to worry about under pitching?

Any thoughts on what I can do with my starter that has to much slurry? Right now its spinning around on a stir plate at 62 degrees. Should I dump it or can I use it on a batch in the next couple of days?
Pete
imlne
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby spacebuff » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:27 pm

pclemon wrote:

Look at your beer bottle; it's not telling you how much it weighs. After all, despite all the 12 fl. oz. bottles out there, they're all filled with beer of different densities and, therefore, don't weigh the same.
"Milk are for babies, when you get older you drink beer." -Governor Schwarzenegger
spacebuff
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby Roger456 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:29 am

My point was that I think that the ounces that imlne was referring to in his post were fluid ounces.
Roger456
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby chris-x1 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:25 pm

imlne wrote:So I don't have to make a yeast starter when I pitch the yeast from a slurry?

No, not if you pitch enough of it. Use the suggested amount in the pitching rate calculator.

You'll probably find the yeast will still be ok....hopefully.
chris-x1
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby imlne » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:50 pm

I've rechecked mr malty, and I can't find how I came up with 3.3 oz. The volume I need to use is in mL. So again, no clue how I came across the ounces. Most have had to many beers that night. None the less, the 5 oz that I added to my starter was measured on an electric scale.
Pete
imlne
6 Pack (200 posts)

PreviousNext

Return to Fermentation