How Long do you aerate?

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

How Long do you aerate?

Postby popetim » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:20 pm

Hi from a newb, at least a newb at aeration. How long do I aerate? One minute, five minutes, half hour? till the oxygen in the Benson red cylinder is gone? (OK I'm assuming that last option is not viable!). Thanks ahead of time for the answer, Tim :wink:
popetim
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: How Long do you aerate?

Postby bewm » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:22 pm

popetim wrote:Hi from a newb, at least a newb at aeration. How long do I aerate? One minute, five minutes, half hour? till the oxygen in the Benson red cylinder is gone? (OK I'm assuming that last option is not viable!). Thanks ahead of time for the answer, Tim :wink:
I use one of those doohickeys that hook up to a drill, and generally do it for about 10min or so on-and-off. I'm pretty sure how long to oxygenate using O2 has been answered here before, if you search around...
bewm: A word used many, many times in the "Music" album by the band 311.
bewm
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby popetim » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:23 pm

Yeah, I guess I should have been more specific. How long do I aerate using an oxygen cylinder from the hardware store hooked up to a stone immersed in the wort? Thanks again for answers ahead of time. Tim
popetim
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Brandon » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:42 pm

popetim wrote:Yeah, I guess I should have been more specific. How long do I aerate using an oxygen cylinder from the hardware store hooked up to a stone immersed in the wort? Thanks again for answers ahead of time. Tim

for 5 gallons using the Red Oxygen tanks you should go about 45 seconds
http://www.embracethefunk.com <------ My sour beer website
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Embrace-T ... 471?ref=ts

The beer is probably enjoyed by less people than actually like it. -Me
Brandon
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby majorvices » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:25 pm

I aerate with pure o2 Ales for 60-90 seconds and lagers 2:30 - 3:00 minutes. You don't want to let the o2 come out quickly. It should "trickle out". The more foam you get on top of your beer and the more bubbling you see coming through the surface the less o2 you are dissolving in the wort.

Helps if you can move the stone around as well. My aeration stone is attached to a wand and i "swirl" the wand continuously while aerating.
Prost! - Keith
majorvices
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby King Kon » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:22 pm

I vary it by OG. 60 seconds for ~ 1.040, 90 seconds for ~ 1.060, 2 minutes for ~ 1.080. So on and so forth.
Konrad
King Kon
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby MDixon » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:43 am

bewm wrote:I use one of those doohickeys that hook up to a drill, and generally do it for about 10min or so on-and-off. I'm pretty sure how long to oxygenate using O2 has been answered here before, if you search around...

:shock: 10 min :?:

I have used a drill mounted MixStir for years and if you spin it and move it up and down you can have froth out the top of the fermenter within a minute or two...10 seems excessive.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby diver » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:09 pm

I've used this chart I copied from Brew Your Own or Zymurgy for many years with good results although I've never bothered with any additional 02 for the higher gravity beers like the article says. I also let it trickle out and move it around, you don't want to see a huge amount of foam on top of the wort.
ENJOY YER BEER and let them that don't want none have memories of not havin' any!
diver
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:13 pm

I aerate for about 8 minutes for 25 gallons of beer and I move the stone every minute or so.
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby krizwit » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:06 pm

Wyeast did some testing and at 68deg(I believe) for 80 sec with pure O2 you get 15ppm which is ideal. I turn the O2 up all the way and go 80 sec......

The problem is I dont know how fast the O2 was coming out of the stone... As Major said, he aerates for a long period, but does so at a lower O2 pressure.
krizwit
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby wguy00 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:13 pm

majorvices wrote:I aerate with pure o2 Ales for 60-90 seconds and lagers 2:30 - 3:00 minutes. You don't want to let the o2 come out quickly. It should "trickle out". The more foam you get on top of your beer and the more bubbling you see coming through the surface the less o2 you are dissolving in the wort.

Helps if you can move the stone around as well. My aeration stone is attached to a wand and i "swirl" the wand continuously while aerating.

Ditto. I got my aeration wand from Williams Brewing.
-David

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.

-Douglas Adams

Zapp: Back when I was captain all I asked from my men was their complete loyalty. If I had that, then for all I cared they could sit around the whole day drinking beer in their underpants.
Bender: Beer?
Fry: Underpants?
wguy00
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby MDixon » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:42 am

krizwit wrote:Wyeast did some testing and at 68deg(I believe) for 80 sec with pure O2 you get 15ppm which is ideal. I turn the O2 up all the way and go 80 sec......

That doesn't sound quite right. I checked the Wyeast site
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfm
60 sec was 12 ppm with pure O2 (doesn't state the volume, 5 gallons assumed)

At some point too much O2 can be detrimental to the yeast. I cannot remember what that point is, but up to 15 ppm should be fine. I believe Fix noted in Analysis of Brewing Techniques that too much O2 can cause higher than normal cell growth rates and and result in elevated levels of esters. (Ahh, found it, p78, middle of the page). The detrimental info was from Dave Miller's Homebrewing Guide p183 and it mentioned at 40ppm the oxygen acts as a sanitizer.
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby majorvices » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:59 am

MDixon wrote:
At some point too much O2 can be detrimental to the yeast.....

Unless your wort is cold you are going to have a hard time over aerating even with pure O2. It simply does not like to stay in suspension. Without a dissolved Oxygen meter no one knows really how much O2 is in the wort - and, my gosh, DO meters are EXPENSIVE!!

I read a thread a while back elsewhere where people with DO meters were surprised at how much O2 was actually going into the wort. In short they had to nearly double the aeration time to get up to the recommended O2 level.

I will see if I can find the thread and post back later.
Prost! - Keith
majorvices
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby MDixon » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:06 am

The problem is O2 wants to leave suspension. DO is more soluble in cooler wort than in warmer (ambient) wort. Of course we are forcing the DO, it is not occurring naturally.

Aeration is self limiting to 8ppm DO which is fairly easy to achieve. Pure oxygen can reach 40ppm.
MDixon
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby majorvices » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:13 am

MDixon wrote: Pure oxygen can reach 40ppm.

But not without a long, slow trickle of O2 and teeny-tiny bubbles. At under 3 minutes in a 44 degree wort I think most of us are fine with our diffusion stones and cheap o2 regulators.
Prost! - Keith
majorvices
Addict (5000 posts)

Next

Return to Fermentation