Fermenting my first 10 Gallon Batch

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Fermenting my first 10 Gallon Batch

Postby Willy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:03 am

Hey Guys,
I want to do my first 10 gallon batch and I'm thinking ahead. What do people do with a 10 gallon batch and 6.5 gal. glass carboys? I'm thinking I need a 10 gallon bucket for the primary, then can I transfer to two 5 gal glass carboys? Or will that change my beer between the carboys. Also quickly thought of racking from primary to two 5 gal Corny kegs, put an airlock on the gas in tube until fermentation is complete, replace with gas in connector???

It's my first 10 gallon batch. What do you have for experience??
You don't slow down because you get old,
You get old because you slow down!!!
Willy
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Fermenting my first 10 Gallon Batch

Postby fossilsrocks » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:15 am

Just pour half of the 10 gallon batch in one 6.5 gallon carboy & half in another 6.5 gallon carboy. Or half in a 6.5 gallon carboy & half in a 6 gallon bucket. I think 5 gallon carboys are a bit small for primary fermenters; but if you don't mind extra blow off, they will work, too.

I would not recommend transferring from the primary fermenter until at least 3 days after fermentation is complete. Racking early can cause stuck fermentations, and the yeast remove some undesirable fermentation bi-products after primary fermentation is complete if you leave them alone for a little while.
Scott

You should go fishing; it is good for the soul. Have you ever heard of a single Nazi who liked to fish? You can't trust people who don't fish. We need to teach our House & Senate members to fish. Those who don't want to should be used for bait.
fossilsrocks
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby krizwit » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:13 am

I agree with Fossil.

Divide the 10g batch into two carboys(6g or 6.5). The cool thing is that you can use different yeasts in each carboy to compare and contrast the differences. It will help you figure out what yeasts you like the best and how big of an impact yeast has on your beer.
krizwit
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby fossilsrocks » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:18 am

krizwit wrote:Divide the 10g batch into two carboys(6g or 6.5). The cool thing is that you can use different yeasts in each carboy to compare and contrast the differences. It will help you figure out what yeasts you like the best and how big of an impact yeast has on your beer.

+1

Great point krizwit! I have really enjoyed playing around with different Belgian yeast strains in my Belgian pale ale experiments. The yeast strain you choose can have a HUGE impact on the way the beer comes out; this is a fun & educational way to learn about them.
Scott

You should go fishing; it is good for the soul. Have you ever heard of a single Nazi who liked to fish? You can't trust people who don't fish. We need to teach our House & Senate members to fish. Those who don't want to should be used for bait.
fossilsrocks

Postby JLBrew » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:08 am

krizwit wrote:I agree with Fossil.

Divide the 10g batch into two carboys(6g or 6.5). The cool thing is that you can use different yeasts in each carboy to compare and contrast the differences. It will help you figure out what yeasts you like the best and how big of an impact yeast has on your beer.

+1
I recently brewed 10 gal of Sweet Stout with it split in half between two 6.5 gal carboys - WPL530 Abbey in one and WLP002 English in the other. The English ferment then got transferred to 2ndary on bourbon soaked oak chips. Two totally different beers.
Justin
-- Rhode Island Fermentation Technicians (RIFT) --
On Tap- n/a
Fermenting- n/a
Lagering- n/a
On Deck- n/a
JLBrew
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby beertron » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:34 pm

fossilsrocks wrote:Just pour half of the 10 gallon batch in one 6.5 gallon carboy & half in another 6.5 gallon carboy. Or half in a 6.5 gallon carboy & half in a 6 gallon bucket. I think 5 gallon carboys are a bit small for primary fermenters; but if you don't mind extra blow off, they will work, too.

+1 this is what i do...

i would advise you not to use the carboy hoods that i have. they are not air tight. notice all the hose clamps i have on the damn things.
let there be beer

Tap #1 - Blueberry Biere de Garde
Tap #2 - Biere de Garde
Tap #3 - Foreign Extra Stout
Tap #4 - American Pale Ale
Tap #5 - Traditional Bock
Bottled: Oaked Barleywine, Brown Porter, Belgian Pale Ale
Carbonating: Chai Spiced Weizenbock
Conditioning: German Pils
Fermenting:
Brewing: American Barleywine (12-17-12)
beertron
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby IIPABrewer » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:56 pm

beertron wrote:
fossilsrocks wrote:Just pour half of the 10 gallon batch in one 6.5 gallon carboy & half in another 6.5 gallon carboy. Or half in a 6.5 gallon carboy & half in a 6 gallon bucket. I think 5 gallon carboys are a bit small for primary fermenters; but if you don't mind extra blow off, they will work, too.

+1 this is what i do...

i would advise you not to use the carboy hoods that i have. they are not air tight. notice all the hose clamps i have on the damn things.

Nice picture. I use those hoods all the time (for the 1st few days) and didn't realize they were a problem. If people don't use those then how do you hookup a blow off tube to a glass carboy?
SYSTEM
2008 version of B3 2050 system
SS B3 H&C Conical

ON TAP (or lagering)
Sorry far to many to try to list these days :).
IIPABrewer
6 Pack (200 posts)

Postby cbbrown40 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:39 pm

if you are going to do 10 gal batches often I reccomend getting a sanke keg to ferment in works like a charm
A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Many people drink beer. Many battles have been fought and won by soldiers nourished on beer".
-Frederick The Great
-

VISIT COOTER BROWN BREWING AT
http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg86/cbbrown40/
cbbrown40
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby beertron » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:26 pm

beertron wrote:Nice picture. I use those hoods all the time (for the 1st few days) and didn't realize they were a problem. If people don't use those then how do you hookup a blow off tube to a glass carboy?

ive had this problem a couple of times, maybe im doing something wrong? for an alternative, you could use a stopper with a tube stuck into the hole.
let there be beer

Tap #2 - Biere de Garde
Fermenting:
beertron
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby fossilsrocks » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:55 am

I've always used a stopper & a tube for a blowoff.
Scott

fossilsrocks

Postby bewm » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:39 am

IIPABrewer wrote:If people don't use those then how do you hookup a blow off tube to a glass carboy?
Get some 1/2" ID tubing, it fits perfectly around the interior stem of your airlock. One of my airlocks has a crack on the side and that's the one I use for blowoffs:

bewm: A word used many, many times in the "Music" album by the band 311.
bewm
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby JLBrew » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:49 pm

bewm wrote:
IIPABrewer wrote:If people don't use those then how do you hookup a blow off tube to a glass carboy?
Get some 1/2" ID tubing, it fits perfectly around the interior stem of your airlock. One of my airlocks has a crack on the side and that's the one I use for blowoffs:

+1
I do the same. It's easy to take the tube off and replace the bell, pour in some sanitizer and cap the airlock after the fermentation slows, without taking the stopper out (if you choose to). Unless of course you have a crack in the side.
Justin
-- Rhode Island Fermentation Technicians (RIFT) --
On Tap- n/a
Fermenting- n/a
Lagering- n/a
On Deck- n/a
JLBrew
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby im1dermike » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:55 pm

Or you could just use 1" tubing and not need an airlock at all.
im1dermike

Postby beertron » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:00 pm

im1dermike wrote:Or you could just use 1" tubing and not need an airlock at all.

just switched over to the 1'' tubing. good advice , no leaks, and it couldnt be any easier to install. :D
let there be beer

Tap #2 - Biere de Garde
Fermenting:
beertron
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby thdewitt » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:30 pm

I would really like to ferment in a Sanke like you show here, but how in the heck do you clean this out when you are done.

Tom
thdewitt
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Fermentation