Refrigerator/freezer to fit Conical

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Refrigerator/freezer to fit Conical

Postby pclemon » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:21 am

Looking to purchase the 27 Gallon conical and intend to put it in an upright fridge/freezer for temp control. Does anyone out there already do this (with this model or size) and can pass along the make/model of the refrigeration unit appropriate?

So far, the units I'm finding are too shallow (requires 25").
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 4306
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: Marlborough, MA

Re: Refrigerator/freezer to fit Conical

Postby fossilsrocks » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:50 am

If you are already getting a 27 gallon conical, you should seriously look at a walk-in type refrigerator.
Scott

You should go fishing; it is good for the soul. Have you ever heard of a single Nazi who liked to fish? You can't trust people who don't fish. We need to teach our House & Senate members to fish. Those who don't want to should be used for bait.
User avatar
fossilsrocks
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 4196
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:00 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Refrigerator/freezer to fit Conical

Postby Cabin Joe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:31 am

I assume you included the depth in the door too? Might get you 3-4 more inches.
User avatar
Cabin Joe
Pitcher (300 posts)
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:16 am
Location: Mid-west

Re: Refrigerator/freezer to fit Conical

Postby lehr » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:20 am

I have a kenmore all fridge I took the inside of the door off and made trim to hold the seal I will measure it when I get home I have a 17 gallon fermenter in it.
Image
Mad Fabricator Brewing brew rig
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32973
User avatar
lehr
Corny Keg (500 posts)
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:52 am
Location: Flushing Mi.

Re: Refrigerator/freezer to fit Conical

Postby saltydawg » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:38 am

I've got the B3 27g conical, too. I breifly thought about a 'fridge, but like you soon found getting one big enough might be tricky. I ended up framing up and insulating the space beneath the stairs leading to my basement. All I need is a small AC window unit. I bought the casters for the conical and I can wheel it in the walk in with no problem.
Beer has food value, food has no beer value.
User avatar
saltydawg
Pitcher (300 posts)
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:06 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Refrigerator/freezer to fit Conical

Postby pclemon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:17 am

lehr wrote:I have a kenmore all fridge I took the inside of the door off and made trim to hold the seal I will measure it when I get home I have a 17 gallon fermenter in it.
Image



Thanks - looks just like what I'm looking for if it's deep enough. Another option is commercial style beverage cooler (glass front) but would anticipate them being less efficient due to the glass door.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 4306
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: Marlborough, MA

Re: Refrigerator/freezer to fit Conical

Postby rsquared » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:11 pm

pclemon wrote:Thanks - looks just like what I'm looking for if it's deep enough. Another option is commercial style beverage cooler (glass front) but would anticipate them being less efficient due to the glass door.


The glass door should make almost no difference at ale temps, and probably not too much difference at lager temps.
rsquared
Liter Mug (100 posts)
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Refrigerator/freezer to fit Conical

Postby pclemon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:31 am

rsquared wrote:
pclemon wrote:Thanks - looks just like what I'm looking for if it's deep enough. Another option is commercial style beverage cooler (glass front) but would anticipate them being less efficient due to the glass door.


The glass door should make almost no difference at ale temps, and probably not too much difference at lager temps.


It would be going in a non-heated, non-cooler garage that experiences temp extreme's of -5 to 105 degrees (not as big as some of you might deal with but more than most). I'm not 100% opposed to the glass front if that's how it works out but if it's two items that are the same cost I'd prefer the solid/insulated door.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 4306
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: Marlborough, MA

Re: Refrigerator/freezer to fit Conical

Postby Monster Mash » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:35 am

I put some 1" foam insulation on my glass and it keeps temps very well. During the winter I have to put a 100w light bulb inside but that is only if the temps are in the 30's for many consecutive days.

Image
User avatar
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)
 
Posts: 14357
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Castaic, CA

Re: Refrigerator/freezer to fit Conical

Postby pclemon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:41 am

Monster Mash wrote:I put some 1" foam insulation on my glass and it keeps temps very well. During the winter I have to put a 100w light bulb inside but that is only if the temps are in the 30's for many consecutive days.

Image


It looks like that unit would definitely hold what I'm looking for. Do you happen to know make/model?
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 4306
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: Marlborough, MA

Re: Refrigerator/freezer to fit Conical

Postby Monster Mash » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:44 am

I don't know the brand offhand, check craigslist for display refrigerators.

A quick search and I found this one local (to me)
User avatar
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)
 
Posts: 14357
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Castaic, CA

Re: Refrigerator/freezer to fit Conical

Postby sonisteve234 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:26 am

I would consider a front loading refrigerator for a Sabco. You could install casters and wheel the fermenter into the fridge via a ramp. I have a Blichmann conical that I plan to do the same with. The alternative plan is a hoist to load the fermenter into a top loading converted chest freezer which would also work.

Pumping the beer is also a consideration but I'm leaning toward a gravity transfer.
sonisteve234
Empty Glass (<2 posts)
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:19 am

Re: Refrigerator/freezer to fit Conical

Postby pclemon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:13 am

sonisteve234 wrote:I would consider a front loading refrigerator for a Sabco. You could install casters and wheel the fermenter into the fridge via a ramp. I have a Blichmann conical that I plan to do the same with. The alternative plan is a hoist to load the fermenter into a top loading converted chest freezer which would also work.

Pumping the beer is also a consideration but I'm leaning toward a gravity transfer.



Old thread but I guess I never did update with what I actually did. I did find an upright freezer that, with the door panel removed similar to Lehr's picture, it JUST fits. Can't recall the make/model right now but remember picking it up at Lowes. It's in the garage right accross from the brew rig so with a 10' hose, I simply pump it from the kettle, through the plate chiller, through the O2 stone to the bottom dump of the conical. The only time the conical leaves the freezer is for cleaning.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)
 
Posts: 4306
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: Marlborough, MA


Return to Fermentation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests