Speidel Plastic Fermenter

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Speidel Plastic Fermenter

Postby HappyHour » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:21 am

I'm interested in this product but a bit reluctant to purchase due to what I've read about fermenting/cleaning plastic. Are these fermenters capable of multiple years of use with proper cleaning? I'd hate to spend the money on these things and get a couple months worth of use.
Batches Brewed: 59
HappyHour
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Re: Speidel Plastic Fermenter

Postby Mike_ » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:36 am

sure they work ... for years I guess if you were very very careful about cleaning the inside.. as with all plastics if you scratch it it can harbor germs much easier

you could use a sponge with PBW... but I have noticed that PBW eats a normal sponge up almost melts them it seems

I know that some people on these forums use them.. maybe they will chime in and give you a little more in site and help on how they clean them?

as you can see at More Beer they recommend these special cleaning pads. And WOW $60 for the Speidel??

http://morebeer.com/view_product/12095/ ... 0L_159_gal
http://morebeer.com/view_product/15970/ ... rub_Pads_3

Don't fear the foam!!!

ON TAP:
Ferming:
Next up:
IIPA again, its just to good :-)
Amber

Wine in bottle: Cab 2009 / Merlot 2009... 5 cases left Aging in oak barrels: Cab Franc 195gallons.. I need to get this in the bottle!!! LOL
Mike_
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby rookie » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:05 am

A good long soak with some kind of oxy type cleaner will do the job avoiding any scrubbing and possible scratches. Be sure to not let them set after use and allowing stuff to dry out and harden.
Steve,
"I'm a man, but I can change; if I have to, I guess"
The man's prayer from the Red Green show on PBS>
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Postby HappyHour » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:58 am

Thank you for the replies. I'm pretty thorough about cleaning/sanitizing so a crusted up fermenter won't be an issue. Hopefully, they get some more of these in soon and I'll give 1 a whirl. Thanks again.
Batches Brewed: 59
HappyHour
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Return to Fermentation