sour beer- adding fruit

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sour beer- adding fruit

Postby KTbrew » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:33 pm

I have an oud bruin souring right now OG. 1.073. I’m planning on adding 4.5 lbs. of pitted black cherries to it which are in my freezer. I didn’t add them right at the beginning because I know that most sour beer experts wait a while. When should I add them? Right now it has a layer of “bret. funk-stuff” on top. I’ve heard that you don’t want to disturb that. Should I wait until it’s gone or what?
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Re: sour beer- adding fruit

Postby KTbrew » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:39 am

Ok, no one seams to be an expert on this. Many people have glanced at my question but none have responded. I wend ahead and added the fruit. The one thing that I can report is that the yeast started fermenting like crazy within a few hours. One person told me that its common and what you want to happen. I’ll try to remember to update this post.
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby CA_Mouse » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:29 am

I was hoping someone would respond to your OP as well. I have a Belgian Sour Blonde that I'm currently waiting on. I brewed mine back in November and was told to leave it in the primary for a month, then rack onto my dried fruit and the Sour Yeast and walk away from it for at least 6 months. SO that is what I did. I had what I would consider a small pelicle form, but nothing like pics I've seen of other's brews. I check on it every couple of weeks to make sure that there is nothing severe happening and to check the water level in the airlock. There is still a little bit of airlock activity, but nothing I would say I could sit and watch.

I hope that your's and mine both turn out good!

Mouse :o
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer
CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Postby KTbrew » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:23 pm

Yeah, In my reading an research or sours it sounds like almost no two brewers do it exactly the same. In following Vinnie from Russian River and Tommy Arthur From The Lost Abby they say that they both like to feed their sour beers fruit to restart the fermentation in the barrels. I once heard Vinnie say not to disturb the stuff on top (whatever the correct term is for it). That’s about all I know about it. I think for the most part it takes years of experience to find the techniques that work best for you.
On a side note, the sour that I’m doing currently had a gravity of 1.005 when I checked it and added the fruit. I double checked to make sure I didn’t make a mistake. Surprisingly it had a good amount of residual sweetness. I hope that it continues to sour quite a bit more.
Let me know how yours turns out.
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby CA_Mouse » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:38 pm

I will... I love almost anything sour, so I'm hoping mine turns out at least drinkable. My only concern is that I'm not aging in a barrel (thought about buying one of the More Beer 5 gallon, but thought I better try making a sour first), easier to replace a carboy hood than a barrel! I've, also, read about some pitching a second vial of Sour Blend Yeast, but like you said, no two brewers seem to agree, let alone pass the information on about their process.

Mouse :)
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-

CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

update on the funk

Postby KTbrew » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:47 pm

I just peeked in on this sour and thought I’d give an update on the funk. Last time I looked in at it, about two weeks ago, I just saw cherries floating on top and a few bubbles rising to the surface. Today there is a serious pellicle completely covering the surface and the cherry matter. I’ve done two other sour beers in the past and they never formed more than a thin film. However, this is the first time I have added fruit. I was told that fruit provides a massive dose of natural nutrients and energizer for the yeast. The person who told me this owns a nano brewery and said he adds some pureed granny smith apples to one of his products for this very purpose. He also said that he copied the trick from a brewery that makes some very well known sour beers and you would never know there was apple in them.

Sour beers have been a cool learning experience so far for me. When you are embracing wild organisms, which would otherwise ruin you beer, its hard to say what is and isn’t the right way. Brewers of great sour beers seam to guard many of their secrets. Personally, I’m hoping that the mad fermentationst finishes his book and has it published soon. I’d like to read a book that goes in depth on the techniques of different breweries.
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby KTbrew » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:26 am

Thought I’d share a bit more about this beer’s progress. I opened up the keg I keep it in yesterday. There has been another restart in fermentation. Big aroma of fruit, esters and funk (leather and damp earth). The cherry solids have sunk to the bottom. I was very surprised at the color. When it went in it was red/light brown, now it is much lighter red/pink, like the color of the fruit and transparent. The gravity is 1.001. I had no idea it would go that low.
I plan to be patent and bottle when the beer tells me its ready. After that I will do another generation with about 40% this beer and others blended together and left to sour.
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby CA_Mouse » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:24 pm

I kegged mine on Saturday... *VERY* tart, not quite what I would call sour. Just dialing in the carbonation level now. It is slightly sweet after the tartness dissipates from the tongue, color is golden like the base beer (expected it to take a reddish tint from the cranberries), aroma is of both pomegranates and cranberries (used pomegranate-infused dried cranberries) with the cranberry being the stronger aroma, the taste is a good blend of the two flavors. Mine finished at 1.008 for an ABV of 8%, but until it gets warm you don't get the sense of alcohol (other than the nice warming as it goes down!). I have already been told that I *AM* doing this again. I plan on two versions this time, Pom-Cran and Black Currents. I've found something that will now be an annual brew!
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-

CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Postby franky_2 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:26 pm

:)
franky_2
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby KTbrew » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:58 pm

Update- I finally bottled this beer. It tastes and smells great. Tart, fruity and funky but balanced. I dumped all of the cherry solids out of the keg but didn’t wash it. I then combined 1.5 gallons of it and some portions of other batches that I have been saving. This will be the 3rd generation of the same souring bugs. Perhaps a year from now I’ll post how that beer turns out.
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby CA_Mouse » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:01 pm

Sounds good.

I racked my 3rd one onto 2# of pureed dried black cherries. I used WLP650 this time instead of the WLP655 for the last 2. I'm hoping for a bit more funk this time. Will know how this one does in about a year too.
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-

CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:14 am

Sounds awesome guys.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby hwasone » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:35 am

turbo_ale wrote:Sounds awesome guys.

This thread is definitely inspiring me to give it a try!
Jason
hwasone
Barrel (1000 posts)

Postby CA_Mouse » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:06 pm

Looks like KT and I have started something here.... My first sour lasted about 5 weeks (minus the 6 pack of 22oz bottles I have sequestered) and people are already asking when the re-brew will be ready!

I want to start using a barrel but haven't found the right one at the right price... I need an 8 gallon barrel I think... I want to run one through it, pull off about half and top off with a new 4 gallons and every year keep doing the same thing until the barrel is wasted. I've had IPA snobs that claimed to not like sours asking me for more every time I see him!

:mrgreen:
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-

CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Postby KTbrew » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:27 pm

I’m glad to see interest in sour beers. They are a great learning experience and totally worth the wait.

Here’s my advice for first-timers.

Start simple.
High mash temp.
Very little hops.
Do your primary fermentation as usual and add your choice of souring bugs to the secondary.
Be patient. Wait somewhere around a year.

The brewingTV.com episode on sour beers is pretty good.
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Next

Return to Fermentation