sour beer- adding fruit

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: sour beer- adding fruit

Postby KTbrew » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:30 pm

"I want to start using a barrel but haven't found the right one at the right price... "

I found a guy in Oregon willing to sell me a 10G. rum barrel for around $100. Shipping it to SoCal is what has held me back from buying one.
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby CA_Mouse » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:18 am

KTbrew wrote:I’m glad to see interest in sour beers. They are a great learning experience and totally worth the wait.

Here’s my advice for first-timers.

Start simple.
High mash temp.
Very little hops.
Do your primary fermentation as usual and add your choice of souring bugs to the secondary.
Be patient. Wait somewhere around a year.

The brewingTV.com episode on sour beers is pretty good.

This is exactly what I did... My first one was 11 months old when I kegged it and bottled off there a month later. My other two are 2 months and 1 month old now (just racked the second one to secondary and added black cherries and bugs). Can't wait for these to be finished and to get a couple of small barrels to start infecting!
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer
CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Postby CA_Mouse » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:27 am

KTbrew wrote:"I want to start using a barrel but haven't found the right one at the right price... "

I found a guy in Oregon willing to sell me a 10G. rum barrel for around $100. Shipping it to SoCal is what has held me back from buying one.

I'll keep looking as well, but maybe we can work out a deal on shipping if we buy multiple barrels?
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-

Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer
CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Postby KTbrew » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:00 pm

I keep coming back to this post. In the years since first taking interest in sour beers, sours have become a major interest for me. I have several batches going right now and I'm experimenting with a verity of techniques.

The third generation of this batch took an odd turn. It developed a chemical aroma. Most likely from a small amount of oxygen. I continue to keep that beer around to see what happens to it. Surprisingly the chemical aroma seems to be dissipating. Lambic brewers talk about their beers going through a "sick" phase. Perhaps that's what this is. I'm going to let it hit three years and see how it is.

My current endeavors are building up a stock of sours to blend, sour saisons and... Some unique stuff where I'm souring on the hot side and fermenting with Belgian yeast. Also using bret. in strong beers and stopping it before they get too dry.

It's fun but I need to get some of this stuff drank before I make much more.
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby CA_Mouse » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:38 pm

KTbrew wrote:I keep coming back to this post. In the years since first taking interest in sour beers, sours have become a major interest for me. I have several batches going right now and I'm experimenting with a verity of techniques.

The third generation of this batch took an odd turn. It developed a chemical aroma. Most likely from a small amount of oxygen. I continue to keep that beer around to see what happens to it. Surprisingly the chemical aroma seems to be dissipating. Lambic brewers talk about their beers going through a "sick" phase. Perhaps that's what this is. I'm going to let it hit three years and see how it is.

My current endeavors are building up a stock of sours to blend, sour saisons and... Some unique stuff where I'm souring on the hot side and fermenting with Belgian yeast. Also using bret. in strong beers and stopping it before they get too dry.

It's fun but I need to get some of this stuff drank before I make much more.

I have been experimenting with Kettle Souring lately, but nothing is as good as a mixed fermentation and long term aging. My two mixed fermentations have been going for nearly 30 months now and are just starting to get the funkiness that I've been looking for.

As far as a sour getting 'sick', most of the time they are talking about having a ropey beer, where the beer actually has a sliminess to it that resembles really loose snot or mucous.
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-