Oak chips

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Oak chips

Postby Danny1788 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:55 pm

Can you reuse oak chips?
Danny1788
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Oak chips

Postby tookalisten » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:49 pm

Good question; never thought about it before. Though, I would think at some point, the "oak" would be milder the longer you use them. If they are kept clean/sanitized, I do not think there would be any harm.
As long as you are re-using them on the same style brew as I would think also that they would soak up from the previous batch and add back to the next batch; albeit very minimal.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Rye IPA
Kegged: RIS, West Coast Blaster, Porter, Hoppy APA
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby pclemon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:12 am

I agree with Took - but would ask why you want to re-use them? It's not like they are particularly expensive and the hassle of recovering, rinsing, storing - re-using IMO doesn't seem justified.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Monster Mash » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:45 am

I've reused them and you only get about half the flavor the second time. I did a big Black Rye IPA and put them in the keg I was serving from, when that kicked I moved them to the next keg of the same beer and it was hardly noticeable.
Monster Mash
Post Whore (10000 posts)

Postby Danny1788 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:02 pm

I brewed up a whiskey barrel stout, soaked the oak chips in crown royal reserve for about a month then put them in the secondary and racked the stout on top of them for almost 60days. I rinsed them off and was thinking about putting them back in some crown to clean and then make another batch and reuse them for the same whiskey/oak/stout taste. just a thought as I still have them. PS the stout is in the keg now and a few more days it should be carbonated. Cant wait to try it, the little taste I had before transferring was sweet like crown royal whiskey exactly what I was looking for but then the stout taste of the beer kicks in right behind it very mellow but I really liked it.
Danny1788
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby KTbrew » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:21 pm

I like to soak oak in spirits as well. I tend to use cubes and return them to the whiskey or whatever they were in previously. The alcohol will sterilize the wood. You can add the liquor directly to your beer as well with good results.
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Return to Fermentation