rubber stopper keeps popping out of carboy

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rubber stopper keeps popping out of carboy

Postby 67nj » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:12 am

I am fermenting in a 5 gallon carboy. The bubbler keeps popping out and there is foam coming out the top of the carboy. I find the rubber stooper and bubbler still together on the floor. The bubbler is full of foam. I guess the foam is clogging the bubbler causing the gas to build. Is there a solution to this problem? Is my beer ruined? I usually use a five gallon bucket as my primary but this time I wanted to try the carboy. I started with a six gallon boil for a 5 gallon batch. I am newbie and this is my third batch, ever. I have pictures if there is a way to attach them.
67nj
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Re: rubber stopper keeps popping out of carboy

Postby Maineac » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:37 am

As you've seen, 5 gal of fermenting beer in a 5 gal carboy doesn't leave enough room for the foam (krausen) that the fermenting process produces.
Anyway, during this phase the fermenting process is producing so much CO2 that nothing bad is going to get into the beer.
Just take some aluminum foil and fold it loosely over the opening and let it go.
When the ferment slows down, you can put the stopper and airlock back in the carboy.
"The more you read about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best." Will Rogers
Maineac
Corny Keg (500 posts)

Postby pclemon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:45 am

You would not want to attach the stopper/airlock to the carboy - as you said, it's getting clogged and the pressure is popping it out. If you force it to stay in there, then the only way the pressure relieves itself is by bursting the carboy.

As Maineac said, fermeting 5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy isn't ideal - look into using a 6.5 gallon bucket or carboy. Also look up blow-off tubes (a larger tube that fits into the neck of the carboy and you run to a bucket of water).
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:51 am

pclemon wrote:You would not want to attach the stopper/airlock to the carboy - as you said, it's getting clogged and the pressure is popping it out. If you force it to stay in there, then the only way the pressure relieves itself is by bursting the carboy.

As Maineac said, fermeting 5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy isn't ideal - look into using a 6.5 gallon bucket or carboy. Also look up blow-off tubes (a larger tube that fits into the neck of the carboy and you run to a bucket of water).

+1 on the blow off tube a one inch OD tube will fit in the neck of the carboy thake th other end and submerge in a bucket of sanitizer
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby stusiegel » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:18 am

Like the others have said use a blow off tube then add the stopper once activity has started to die down. To keep my stoppers in place I use packing tape. I'll use 3 to 4 pieces in a criss-cross pattern to hold the air lock and stopper in place. Last night I moved a German Alt to a carboy for lagering. I didn't have packing tape but did have blue painters tape instead. Seems to work fine holding the stopper in place.
stusiegel
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:33 am

Above posts are way to go.

I have also taken a few bread wrappers, encircled under the neck, twist an extension or "handle" on each side; then run a rubber band from one handle, over the stopper, and connect to other handle.

Hope that description makes sense - just need to add a little tension to hold it down.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Amber
Kegged: Brown Ale, Porter, Sweet Stout, IPA
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Return to Fermentation