New Speidel Frementer

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

New Speidel Frementer

Postby djonesax » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:36 pm

So my lovely wife bought me a 60L Speidel Ferementer for Christmas. It wasn't even on my radar, but was definitely my favorite gift. I haven't had any time to brew but I do have two identical wine kits I need to make. I was wondering if I should start these in 6 gallon primary's and then secondary in the Speidel or the reverse? I was thinking about attempting to bottle with the spigot versus racking cane like I normally do. Any advice from the Speidel owners out there?

Thanks,

David
-There is no BAD beer. There is only BETTER beer!
djonesax
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Re: New Speidel Frementer

Postby pclemon » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:49 am

Not a Speidel owner so take my opinion for what that's worth -

The Speidel fermenters, while nice are still plastic and I believe still permeable. I wouldn't hesitate to use them for primary fermentation but with wine, and the long secondary timeline, I would not use them for that purpose. Primary in Speidel and secondary in glass.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:46 am

I am a speidel fermenter owner I agree pclemon I would not use them for long term secondary use.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby djonesax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:00 am

If I plan to bottle the kits after 30 days or so, would you still not recommend it?

David
djonesax
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby pclemon » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:28 am

djonesax wrote:If I plan to bottle the kits after 30 days or so, would you still not recommend it?

David

Is this white wine or red wine. In my experience it can take at least twice that amount of time for the wine to get to the point where everything has settled out of it enough to provide a clear product. Not so much an issue with reds... but tough to explain floaties in the white wine.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby djonesax » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:48 pm

It's a Pino Noir and I have two kits. Typically I will leave it in a carboy until its clear but thats a good point, it may be harder to tell when its clear if not in glass. I'll just stick to only using it for primary if at all and secondary in glass. I was mainly thinking about bottling, thinking that the spigot may may it a tad easier.

Thanks,

David
djonesax
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:24 pm

djonesax wrote:It's a Pino Noir and I have two kits. Typically I will leave it in a carboy until its clear but thats a good point, it may be harder to tell when its clear if not in glass. I'll just stick to only using it for primary if at all and secondary in glass. I was mainly thinking about bottling, thinking that the spigot may may it a tad easier.

Thanks,

David

For bottling go for it I love mine when it comes time to keg.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby NonHopHead » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:24 am

I have a 20L and a 30L Speidel fermenter. Those things are terrific.

While they are plastic, I think they are less oxygen permeable than the super thin cheapo plastic fermenters. I agree with the folks above that I would not store wine or beer in one long term, but I have definitely used my 20L to lager for 4-5 weeks with no detectable oxidation flavors in the beer.
NonHopHead
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby BKG » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:40 am

Hi All,

I would not hesitate to use these for wine storage for 6 months, give or take depending on the kind of wine and the size of the tank (more on that later). Speidels are made from thick HDPE, the same material as Flextanks are made from. For those not familiar with Flextanks these are similar HDPE tanks made for wine storage that have similar oxygen transfer rates to oak barrels. So the idea is that you can store wine with in these types of tanks with oak and get similar results to the slow micro-oxygenation you get with a barrel. I would suggest for longer term storage you remove the airlock and attach the threaded cap. Depending on tank size, more oxygen transfer will occur through the airlock than will through the sidewalls of the tank.

When we were considering importing these tanks we were hesitant about long term wine storage as well even though we knew about the material and the science. One real life example was that in Germany these Speidel HDPE tanks can be found in nearly every winery for left over small lots. In a winery we visited in the Mosel Valley they had high-quality Riesling stored in the larger size speidel tanks for a year.

If you are making a wine kit the micro-oxygenation is going to play less of a factor. If you are making a high tannin red directly from grapes you will want some micro-ox in your vessel. If you store in a carboy or stainless tank your wine will go reductive and is more likely to develop sulphur based compounds that reduce the perception of ripe fruit. For big reds where barrels are not an option, the Speidel HDPE tanks are hard to beat.

With that said the larger the HDPE vessel the less overall surface area. So if you have a larger size tank and a big red wine you can leave it in there longer. If you have a more delicate wine (white, pinot, etc) and a small tank you should leave it in for less time. It would be great if we could say for this type of wine and that size tank here is a rough estimate of months you could store. While we want to work on that more (give us a few years...) it will always come down to taste as every wine is going to react differently.
Olin Schultz
olin@morebeer.com
----------------------------
In Beer there is strength
In Wine there is wisdom
In Water there is bacteria
BKG
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby NonHopHead » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:36 am

Thanks for the reply, Olin! That was very helpful. It's great to hear directly from the MoreBeer staff too.
NonHopHead
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Return to Fermentation