Dry hopping questions

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dry hopping questions

Postby Danno18 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:55 pm

I just made a batch of citra pale ale in my new SS brew bucket and have some questions on dry hopping. The brew bucket is 7 gallons and I have about 5 gallons fermenting. After the fermentation slows (4-5 days) I want to add 2-3 oz of more citra pellets. Normally when fermenting in a carboy I would rack this into a smaller carboy. Since this new brew bucket has a nice conical bottom and a racking valve near the bottom, should I just open up the lid & drop the pellets in? Or, would it still be best to rack into a smaller secondary container & then add the hops? Another nice feature with the brew bucket is the top opens all the way for easy cleaning, unlike carboys with their narrow necks.
Danno18
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Re: Dry hopping questions

Postby turbo_ale » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:50 pm

My method would be adding two oz pellets to the primary, unless your going to harvest the yeast there is no issue to do it this way.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Dry hopping questions

Postby Brewtime » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:14 pm

Just dump them in
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby tookalisten » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:25 pm

That's what I do, ferment 7 days, dump them in, then keg after 7 days (give or take a day)
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: JZ's WCB, RIS
Kegged: Brown Ale, Citra Pale Ale
tookalisten

Postby pclemon » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:35 am

turbo_ale wrote:My method would be adding two oz pellets to the primary, unless your going to harvest the yeast there is no issue to do it this way.

This. No reason to put into a secondary unless you want the yeast.
Pete
pclemon

Postby Denny » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:13 am

I've done some experimenting with dry hopping, based on an article in Zymurgy by Stan Hieronymous. I had just dry hopped an IPA and was puzzled by a floral scent/flavor that I wasn't expecting. I read Stan's article and he talked about the interaction of yeast and hops increasing the level of gerianol, a rose like ester, that you get from the hops. That was exactly what I was experiencing and I had dry hopped in primary after 2-3 weeks. I brewed another batch and before dry hopping I racked half of it to secondary and dry hopped it. The other half was dry hopped in primary. Sure enough, I get the same results from the beer still on the yeast, while the beer in secondary let the real hop character come through. I've now started racking to secondary before dry hopping.
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

http://www.dennybrew.com
Denny
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby CA_Mouse » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:54 pm

Denny wrote:I've done some experimenting with dry hopping, based on an article in Zymurgy by Stan Hieronymous. I had just dry hopped an IPA and was puzzled by a floral scent/flavor that I wasn't expecting. I read Stan's article and he talked about the interaction of yeast and hops increasing the level of gerianol, a rose like ester, that you get from the hops. That was exactly what I was experiencing and I had dry hopped in primary after 2-3 weeks. I brewed another batch and before dry hopping I racked half of it to secondary and dry hopped it. The other half was dry hopped in primary. Sure enough, I get the same results from the beer still on the yeast, while the beer in secondary let the real hop character come through. I've now started racking to secondary before dry hopping.

I read the article and listened to a podcast that had Stan on it, but hadn't paid attention to it as much as I should have. I dry hopped my IIPA while still in primary and waited until the alcohol had mellowed a bit. I had a pint the other night and thought that I had lost a significant amount of the aroma from my last one that I dry hopped in the keg. Reading your post brought back exactly that flavor profile (week old roses), more floral and 'green' than fruity and pungent. Now I have to brew it again and dry hop in the keg again to see if it changes back to fruit stripe gum and grapefruit instead of roses and grapefruit.
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer
CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Postby rookie » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:00 am

Denny wrote:I've done some experimenting with dry hopping, based on an article in Zymurgy by Stan Hieronymous. I had just dry hopped an IPA and was puzzled by a floral scent/flavor that I wasn't expecting. I read Stan's article and he talked about the interaction of yeast and hops increasing the level of gerianol, a rose like ester, that you get from the hops. That was exactly what I was experiencing and I had dry hopped in primary after 2-3 weeks. I brewed another batch and before dry hopping I racked half of it to secondary and dry hopped it. The other half was dry hopped in primary. Sure enough, I get the same results from the beer still on the yeast, while the beer in secondary let the real hop character come through. I've now started racking to secondary before dry hopping.

Unless you want rose like esters. I wouldn't, but they might float someone's boat.
Steve,
"I'm a man, but I can change; if I have to, I guess"
The man's prayer from the Red Green show on PBS>
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Postby CA_Mouse » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:32 am

rookie wrote:

Unless you want rose like esters. I wouldn't, but they might float someone's boat.

Beer Camp from 2 years ago had a Floral IPA. It was terrible! It was like shoving a bag of potpourri in your mouth. Probably the worse beer I've had.
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale