Holly ADF, Bella Saison dry yeast !

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Holly ADF, Bella Saison dry yeast !

Postby turbo_ale » Sat May 31, 2014 1:11 pm

Wow, first time trying out Lallemaid/Danstar, Bella Saison dry yeast, very impressed! First off I brewed up an all-grain Table Saison, I overshot my mash temp, it was 153F, I wanted around 150F. The OG was set at 1.048, I pitched at 69F, I let the ferment climb gradually, ultimately getting up to 79F, then held there. After gassing subsided, I disconnected the heater and let it come down to basement temp gradually to 64F. I let the beer rest another week on the yeast cake, that last week a weak fermentation began, very slight gassing was accruing for a couple of days. The beer was clear in the carboy, yeast flocculated very well. Today I bottled up the Saison, my finial gravity hydrometer read 1.002 @ 60F, this equals out 6.0% ABV, so much for Table, the ADF is 95.6%. Never had an attenuation this high, my past best ADF's were in the high 80's using other yeasts.

The hydrometer sample had a great Saison aroma and flavors, can't wait for a couple weeks to go by and carb up.

http://morebeer.com/products/dry-yeast- ... on-11.html
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: Holly ADF, Bella Saison dry yeast !

Postby rookie » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:03 am

The recipe?
Steve,
"I'm a man, but I can change; if I have to, I guess"
The man's prayer from the Red Green show on PBS>
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:39 pm

rookie wrote:The recipe?

Batch size 5.5 gallon
Boil time 90 min.
Light body mash

8.75 lb Pilsner malt, 1.6 srm
.75 lb Munich malt, 9 srm
.75 lb White Wheat malt, 3.1 srm
.25 lb Caramunich malt, 60 srm
.25 lb Brown sugar

1 Whirlfloc @ 10
1 Servomyces @ 10

2 oz Hallertau, 4.3AA, @ 60
3/4 oz Hallertau, 4.3AA @ 1

Lallemaid/Danstar, Bella Saison dry yeast, hydrated

Start ferment @ 69F, ramp up to 79F
Keep beer on yeast cake two weeks

6 oz corn sugar, bottle priming

OG 1.048
FG 1.002
ABV 6.0%
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby dmtaylor » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:45 am

I agree, the Belle Saison yeast is simply fantastic. My saison also finished at 1.002. The only "drawback" is that it took 3.5 weeks to get there. But the result is extremely tasty, and did well in competition.

By context, I can tell what "ADF" means (apparent attenuation), but out of curiosity... what do the initials stand for? I've never seen that acronym thrown around before.

Cheers.
Dave
dmtaylor
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby pclemon » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:54 am

dmtaylor wrote:I agree, the Belle Saison yeast is simply fantastic. My saison also finished at 1.002. The only "drawback" is that it took 3.5 weeks to get there. But the result is extremely tasty, and did well in competition.

By context, I can tell what "ADF" means (apparent attenuation), but out of curiosity... what do the initials stand for? I've never seen that acronym thrown around before.

Cheers.

Believe it's Apparent Degree of Fermentation.
Pete
pclemon

Postby turbo_ale » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:10 pm

pclemon wrote:
dmtaylor wrote:I agree, the Belle Saison yeast is simply fantastic. My saison also finished at 1.002. The only "drawback" is that it took 3.5 weeks to get there. But the result is extremely tasty, and did well in competition.

Cheers.

Believe it's Apparent Degree of Fermentation.

Yes, "Apparent Degree of Fermentation" Jamil and Beer Smith uses that acronym.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Fermenting:

turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Postby turbo_ale » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:14 pm

The other interesting fact when you look at the website info about the yeast they say to use two packs for a 1.048 gravity. I only used one pack, and it was done fermenting after the first few days.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... yeast.html
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Fermenting:

turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Return to Fermentation