Irish Red Ale fermantation

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Irish Red Ale fermantation

Postby tz1238 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:29 am

I have been fermenting my Irish Red Ale for a week now. Took two days to start and the airlock bubbled for about four days. I'm leaving it in the fermenter for at least another week and the strip thermometer on the outside of the bucket says 68 degrees. I tried a non contact laser thermometer and the floor of the basement and the fermenter bucket reads 60 degrees, which seems low. Has anyone used a laser thermometer accurately to check fermenter temps? I don't want to open the bucket to use a regular thermometer for another week. Just concerned the my wort temp is too low for ales.
tz1238
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Irish Red Ale fermantation

Postby rookie » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:13 pm

What yeast? Some ale yeasts work down into the 50s.
Steve,
"I'm a man, but I can change; if I have to, I guess"
The man's prayer from the Red Green show on PBS>
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Postby tz1238 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:40 pm

Irish Ale Yeast from White Labs. WLP004
tz1238
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby tz1238 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:22 pm

Took off after 3 days. Fermented just fine
tz1238
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby Tresguey » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:50 pm

I'm relatively new to brewing. One thing I do know is infrared guns do not work well on reflective objects. They can be off up to 30 degrees. I use my my home made thermometer I made using an LM34 sensor and tape it to the side of my carboy.
"My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it...." - Spicoli

Give me a Pizza and a Friendly Frosty and I'm set!!!
Tresguey
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:10 pm

tz1238 wrote:I have been fermenting my Irish Red Ale for a week now. Took two days to start and the airlock bubbled for about four days. I'm leaving it in the fermenter for at least another week and the strip thermometer on the outside of the bucket says 68 degrees.

Your fine, 68F on fermometer strip is OK.

I did a experiment a few batches ago, while fermenting my Irish Red in a glass carboy with the fermometer stuck to it, cellar ambient temp was 67F, the strip was at 72F, I probed internally with a 12" thermometer and got 76F, at peak ferment, 44 hours after pitching. The ferment got under way within four hours, 24 hours I had a volcano overflowing, which I had to remove the stopper/airlock until it calmed down a day later.

Glass/fermometer strip will be more accurate compared to plastic/fermometer. As you see above the internal temps during ferment is higher. 99% of the time I ferment using a thermowell / temp controller, I had two Lagers fermenting which hogged up my equipment, so I went uncontrolled. The beer turned out fine, although I was concerned about off flavors because of the high ferment temp. The key is pitching at 65-67 for ales to keep the esters at bay in the first phase of yeast growth.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby idunknow » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:13 pm

Has anyone used a laser thermometer accurately to check fermenter temps? I don't want to open the bucket to use a regular thermometer for another week. Just concerned the my wort temp is too low for ales?
idunknow
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:55 am

idunknow wrote:Has anyone used a laser thermometer accurately to check fermenter temps? I don't want to open the bucket to use a regular thermometer for another week. Just concerned the my wort temp is too low for ales?

just stick one of those strips on the outside of your bucket you will get a close reading. What yeast are you using?
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:58 am

idunknow wrote:Has anyone used a laser thermometer accurately to check fermenter temps? I don't want to open the bucket to use a regular thermometer for another week. Just concerned the my wort temp is too low for ales?

use one of those thermometer strips and stick it on the out side of your bucket or what ever you use to ferment in. also most ale yeast can handle as low a 60 degrees fermenting.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Return to Fermentation