How to calculate ABV?

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: How to calculate ABV?

Postby turbo_ale » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:01 am

dmtaylor wrote:
MullerBrau wrote:The calculation is probably not linear; that's why you see .128 or .131 or .13125 as a multiplier.

Correct, it is a non-linear relationship. At low gravity, the multiplier is closer to 128. At high gravity, the multiplier is as high as 132 or so. In any case you can just use 130 or 131 all the time and get the right answer within 0.1% ABV.

Like the Co2 carbonation/pressure chart, would be nice to see a chart for ABV in that format. 12% beers using 132 down to the 3% sessions using 128.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby CA_Mouse » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:36 pm

turbo_ale wrote:Like the Co2 carbonation/pressure chart, would be nice to see a chart for ABV in that format. 12% beers using 132 down to the 3% sessions using 128.

I could toss one together if someone has a reference to where I can get the actual gravity break down relevant to the multiplier. I will see if I can dissect the formulas on MullerBrau's site in the mean time.
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #5: Irish Red
Keg #6: Tart Walking IPA
Keg #7: Dad's Apple Cider
Bottled: Robin's Root Beer
CA_Mouse
Keg (750 posts)

Postby dmtaylor » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:45 pm

Heh heh heh.... I found this from alt.beer.home-brewing from 2004. That's where I learned the truth. :twisted:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.bee ... YSP2gId8UJ
Dave
dmtaylor
Pitcher (300 posts)

Previous

Return to Fermentation