Pitch or not pitch Pliny Yeast Cake on American Barley Wine?

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Re: Pitch or not pitch Pliny Yeast Cake on American Barley W

Postby pclemon » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:47 am

helloworld wrote:I happen to have a copy with me at the office :D

"The high hopping level has considerable impact on yeast viability (as does the alcohol content), so it is better not to reuse this yeast"

This is found under the Imperial IPA chapter.

Jamil is certainly more educated on many of these matters than most of us - but I'm still a believer of trying it for yourself to see what impacts it might have. I've read people saying don't re-pitch the yeast if the batch was over 1.06. I do it routinely - to no ill effect. Decreased viability only suggests to me that you should pitch more yeast than would otherwise be stipulated and I'd say that if someone is putting the wort on a full yeast cake from a previous batch they are already WAY over-pitching by that standard.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:26 am

JZ certainally knows his stuff. i use it as mere guidlines you can use them or not. like all of his recipes in the book
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby stusiegel » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:15 am

I have brewed 5 beers from Jamie's style book and 4 out of 5 were excellent. He knows his stuff. The last one is still fermenting:

Brewed
IPA
Alt
Roggenbier(rye beer)
Ice block -the best of all of them
Barlywine - still fermenting

Note: alt done as an extract. All others were all grain.
stusiegel
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby helloworld » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:14 am

Brewtime wrote:JZ certainally knows his stuff. i use it as mere guidlines you can use them or not. like all of his recipes in the book

I view it the same way. It is a good guideline, but I might try something a little different. He and John Palmer are my go to references though. I usually stick to what they say. I definitely use the recipes in BCS as a base and tweak hops or grains a bit to my liking.
helloworld
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby stusiegel » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Today is day 11 of fermentation. I just checked the gravity and it's at 1.020. The starting gravity was 1.126. So that gives it an alcohol content of 13.91% :mrgreen:

Aroma: nose tickles from the alcohol. Next I pick up a very rich maltiness followed by light floral hop aroma.

Appearance: light brown in color and hazy (see 2 pictures below). not carbonated yet so I can comment on head retention

Flavor: I tasted the young barley wine and it's clean. Alcohol's are hot. The malt flavor high with the right bitterness to back it up. Very chewy texture. No roasted or burnt flavors at all and no diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and very, very chewy. Some residual sweetness there but just shy of being syrupy.

Overall: Well made. Beer is already hitting some of the high points of being a barleywine. However it needs aging. Might consider dry hopping this with American Hops. Wonder if aroma will last with aging this beer if dry hopped.

So far I would say my experiment of using a Pliny Yeast Cake to ferment an American Barley Wine is a success.

I did stir the yeast cake and closed the lid on the fermentor. Trying to see if I can get it drop a few more gravity points.

Pictures of the beer:

stusiegel
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby helloworld » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:42 pm

Thanks for following up! A nanobrewery near by has an excellent barley wine on tap currently; now I'm sitting in cubicle dreaming of a glass of it.
helloworld
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby stusiegel » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:29 pm

Well I entered the American Barley Wine in the 2015 Great AZ Homebrew Competition - Category 19C. Scored 44.5 and a gold medal! :mrgreen:

http://brewarizona.org/GAHBC-Winner-List-2015.htm
stusiegel
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Previous

Return to Fermentation