Vegetal aroma/taste

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Vegetal aroma/taste

Postby Malt_Man_John » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:57 pm

I've noticed a vegetal component in at least two recent brews. One was a recipe from Beer and Brewing of a Modus Hoperandi IPA; the other, from the same mag, a Stowaway Oatmeal Stout. It was most pronounced in the IPA, to the point it tasted very unlike the targeted style.

I have one theory: bacterial contamination. And I may have hit upon the cause: My O2 stone and tubing. I always rinse it after use, and before next use will soak it in Iodophor or Star San. However, if rinsing after use doesn't get rid of the bacteria, then soaking in sanitizer may not do the trick.

Therefore, before doing my latest brew, an Imperial IPA, I bought new tubing, boiled the stone in water. After use I again boiled it to be sure no vector for bacteria remained.

Now if I still notice the flaw, I'll be stumped.

Has anyone ever had issues with an oxygenation stone being a source of contamination? Does my theory sound plausible?

It may have also happened in a Cream Ale I did in the summer. Used PM, Pils, and flaked rice. Figured the rice would dry it out and I would avoid the sweetness often associated with corn as adjunct. Well, the result was not what I aimed for. I has a honey-like taste, even with a FG of 1.008. I can only surmise it stems from the same contamination source as the other brews.
Malt_Man_John
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Re: Vegetal aroma/taste

Postby turbo_ale » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:49 pm

I have always boiled my stone after use, so no issues, they also recommend to boil after use.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Malt_Man_John » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:09 pm

I lost the original instructions. Perhaps it did say to boil. Anyway, as I said, let's hope this is it. I'm afraid I'm looking at throwing out two batches. Virtually undrinkable.
Malt_Man_John
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:32 pm

Vegetal flavor and aromas could be caused by DMS, was there any Pills malt, if so was the boil 90 min?

Infection could be the cause too, how quick did your ferment take off? Did you use a starter? If you had a long lag time the bacteria from the stone could have got a jump over your yeast?

What type of Vegetal flavors/aroma, corn, cabbage, celery, onion, parsnip ?

Two months ago I made a cream ale as a base with chili, radishes, parsnip, cilantro, salsa verde, lime, grains of paradise, coriander, green onion, garlic, pinch of salt. It does have that vegetable taste with the heat of the pepper, not that bad of a beer, could call it a V-10 :roll:

I just made a 11 gallon Classic American Pilsner, split the batch, half as is, the other half is cucumbers, radishes, pinch of salt. Cucumbers for the flavor, radishes for the zing, kosher salt to round it out. I wound up using five cucumbers, peeled, sliced, de-seeded, then into a food processor as a green Slurpee, which was poured into the primary fermenter on the seventh day.

My last concoction was based from my Doppelbock, I hot steeped 1/2 oz of clove & 1 oz of cinnamon for 15 minutes, cooled, then blended into some of my Doppelbock as a Christmas beer, that turned out great.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Return to Fermentation