What's the biggest alcoholic beer you've made & yeast used?

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

What's the biggest alcoholic beer you've made & yeast used?

Postby stusiegel » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:10 pm

I recently did a Barleywine with an OG of 1.126 and FG of 1.020. The ABV was 13.91%

Figure obtained by using BrewersFriend.com calculator - > http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

The yeast used was WLP001 CALIFORNIA ALE YEAST from a yeast cake on a DIPA. For the DIPA I started with 2 vials of WLP001.
stusiegel
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Re: What's the biggest alcoholic beer you've made & yeast us

Postby tookalisten » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:28 pm

I don't have my notes close by; but Denny's Old Stoner Barleywine is my biggest beer and I typically pitch on a yeast cake of blonde or pale ale.
Speaking of which, I need to brew another as I only have one bomber left
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Vienna Lager
Kegged: Brown Ale, Porter, Sweet Stout, IPA, Amber, Citra Pale Ale, Blonde Ale
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby KTbrew » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:02 pm

I got a beer up to almost 17% with a combination of US-05 and champagne yeast. It was just a small batch experiment for the purpose of testing the yeast. The beer really wasn't very good. However the combination does work well for strong IPA's.

17% is really nothing compared to some of the stories I've heard. I'm told it's not that challenging to take a beer into the low 20%'s if you know what your doing. Anything much higher than that I would be inclined not to believe. Samuel Adams Utopias I believe holds the record for naturally fermented beers at 29%.

There was a post like this years ago and people had some interesting stories to share. I hope to hear about some cool beers.
KTbrew
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Postby dmtaylor » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:29 pm

Biggest beer I ever made was an imperial hefeweizen. This was all-grain. I did a triple batch sparge and 135-minute boil. Went from 1.114 to 1.020 with WLP380. It was a pretty good beer but had some odd phenols going on besides just the usual clove. I won't make it again but it was a fun experiment.

A homebrewer gone pro called Johnny Max once made a beer he called Cause of Death. He got it into 20%+ ABV range by feeding it a little simple sugar over and over for months. Probably can Google this.
Dave
dmtaylor
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby rookie » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:48 am

In the early days of my home brewing (before I knew what I was doing) I did a 12% barleywine with Wyeast 1056. I think I could now get that up to 15% or more, if I really wanted. Occasionally I contemplate an imperial barleywine: 16-18%.
Steve,
"I'm a man, but I can change; if I have to, I guess"
The man's prayer from the Red Green show on PBS>
rookie
Keg (750 posts)

Return to Fermentation