Oxygenation Partial System. Type O2 tank needed+regulator ?

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Oxygenation Partial System. Type O2 tank needed+regulator ?

Postby stusiegel » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:22 pm

I purchased the Oxygenation Partial System from MoreBeer.com http://morebeer.com/products/oxygenation-partial-system.html. Now I need to get an O2 tank. Does the O2 tank need a regulator too? This kit says it comes with a regulator. It would be great to see a picture of this thing hooked up? What type of O2 tank should I get (i.e., size you would recommend)? Any other helpful tips appreciated.

Should I get the green tank I see old people have that need O2 when they are out and about?

I did a search on youtube and saw a video where a guy used something like a benzomatic O2 tank. They weigh 1.4 oz and are available at home depot. I might get this to start. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-1-4-oz-Oxygen-Gas-Cylinder-304179/202044702
stusiegel
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Re: Oxygenation Partial System. Type O2 tank needed+regulato

Postby rplace » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:58 am

You need the Home Depot type tank not a tank for medical oxygen. Threads are left hand when you go to attach the regulator to the tank. They work great but tanks don't last very long....maybe 4-5 beers.
rplace
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Re: Oxygenation Partial System. Type O2 tank needed+regulato

Postby pclemon » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:37 am

The brass thing in the picture is the regulator that connects to the small disposable tanks that you buy at HD. Depending on how much you brew a suggestion would be to pick up 2 of them since invariably you'll be in the middle of oxygenating a beer when a tank runs out. As Rich said, they're typically good for 4-5 beers, depending on how much O2 you use.

The green tanks you see old people use is medical O2 - which in most states you need a prescription to get. You can get larger canisters of O2 from welding supply places (usually also a green tank, but in the shape/size of CO2 tanks). Those tanks do need a regulator - a CO2 regulator works fine but you need to swap out the piece that connects to the tank since it's not the same as what connects to a CO2 tank.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Return to Fermentation