Add pure O2 to Eisbock that started fermenting yesterday?

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Add pure O2 to Eisbock that started fermenting yesterday?

Postby stusiegel » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:09 am

I made a larger yeast starter on Friday night for a beer I brewed on Saturday.

Saturday I made an Eisbock. SG was 1.12. I used a wisk to aerate the wort for 5 minutes then pitched the starter that was 24 hrs old on top. Fermentation temp is 50F. Today, Monday, I have some bubble action in the Airlock. Since the gravity is so high should I hit it with pure O2 tomorrow when I get home from work? I have the More Beer Oxygenation Partial System http://morebeer.com/products/oxygenation-partial-system.html. Tomorrow I'm stopping at HomeDepot to pick up a Benzomatic 1.4 oz of O2 for $10. To ensure the yeast has enough oxygen I was thinking of hitting it with more O2, because I heard on Jamil's show on the brewing network to hit a big beer again with oxygen the next day. Your thoughts brewing buddies? :D
stusiegel
Liter Mug (100 posts)

Re: Add pure O2 to Eisbock that started fermenting yesterday

Postby pclemon » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:31 am

stusiegel wrote:I made a larger yeast starter on Friday night for a beer I brewed on Saturday.

Saturday I made an Eisbock. SG was 1.12. I used a wisk to aerate the wort for 5 minutes then pitched the starter that was 24 hrs old on top. Fermentation temp is 50F. Today, Monday, I have some bubble action in the Airlock. Since the gravity is so high should I hit it with pure O2 tomorrow when I get home from work? I have the More Beer Oxygenation Partial System http://morebeer.com/products/oxygenation-partial-system.html. Tomorrow I'm stopping at HomeDepot to pick up a Benzomatic 1.4 oz of O2 for $10. To ensure the yeast has enough oxygen I was thinking of hitting it with more O2, because I heard on Jamil's show on the brewing network to hit a big beer again with oxygen the next day. Your thoughts brewing buddies? :D

The next day would have been Suunday, not Wed. Others may have a different opinion on this but I would NOT hit it with more O2 once fermentation has kicked off to any significant extent. The next day, while the yeast may still be multiplying would be a different matter.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Return to Fermentation