fruit beer with some issues

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

fruit beer with some issues

Postby beerKT » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:36 pm

I currently have a fruit beer with some issues. I started with 5 G. of a 5% abv Belgian summer beer. Did the primary fermentation as usual. Racked to a secondary. At this point there was no off flavors. I added about 14 lbs. of a combination of strawberries and raspberries which had been frozen for quite a while. I did taste the berries for quality. After the fruit fermented out I noticed an odd chemical aroma which was quite pungent. It reminds me of a smell from a dentist office. I just did a third racking and the aroma has decreased but is still there. Has anyone ells ever experienced this? Any chance it will go away with time? I know it's a lot of fruit on 5 G. Could it be the yeast reacting poorly to the high volume of fruit?
beerKT
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: fruit beer with some issues

Postby pclemon » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:30 am

At this point it is what it is... not like you can remove some of the fruit flavor but IMO the larger risk is that there was bacteria on the fruit you put in it.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:43 pm

beerKT wrote:After the fruit fermented out I noticed an odd chemical aroma which was quite pungent. It reminds me of a smell from a dentist office.

"Dentist office", like band aid, medicinal, plastic ? Could be caused by wild yeast, sanitation issues? Make sure to filter water with carbon filter, use campden tablet to remove chloramines, use non chlorine based sanitizers, proper sparging.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby dmtaylor » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:45 pm

It might be contaminated with wild yeast or bacteria. However, don't throw it out yet. Give it 3-4 weeks and see if it cleans itself up. It very well may.
Dave
dmtaylor
Pitcher (300 posts)

Postby manish doshi » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:35 am

dmtaylor thanks for information...!!!
manish doshi
Empty Glass (<2 posts)

Postby CA_Mouse » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:13 pm

Another option would be to isolate it from the rest of your beers/fermenters and dose it with Brettanomyces and bottle in a month with a stable gravity. This will produce a slightly funky beer (in a good sense) over time.
Mouse
-=ô¿ô=-
That which does not kill us makes us stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Primary: Hopping Dead
Secondary: Mead - Cinnamon; Boysenberry; Blackberry; Tart Cherry
Barrel #2: American Barleywine
Secondary: Dark Cherry Sour '13
Secondary: Pom-Cran Sour '13
Keg #1: Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Cascade Pale Ale
Keg #3: Berliner Weiss
Keg #4: Cascade Pale Ale