Floating mass in my White Wheat

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Floating mass in my White Wheat

Postby Mame80 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:21 pm

Hello, I have been brewing all grain for two years. And have brewed this many times (3gal/10l). But this time I used a different (weaker) gas burner. I noticed after my mash it seemed a little thicker. But continued. Long story short. In my fermenter I have a floating mass that's about 50% of the carboy. It is finished fermenting 1.011. It's smells and tastes fine. Any ideas?

Last edited by Mame80 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beer...is..good
Mame80
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Re: Floating mass in my White Wheat

Postby tookalisten » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:45 pm

If it tastes and smells good; you should be fine. A pic would help. If you look at the "Support" section, there is a thread on posting pictures.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
~Robert Brault

Primary: Amber
Kegged: Brown Ale, Porter, Sweet Stout, IPA
tookalisten
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby pclemon » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:44 am

No idea what that is - though it just looks like a bunch of break material and yeast that's settled to the bottom - but agree with Took that if it tastes and smells fine, there's no concerns about drinking it.
Pete
pclemon

Postby Mame80 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:50 am

I was wondering if I didn't have a vigorous enough boil going? Maybe is didn't breakdown something?
Beer...is..good
Mame80
Taster Glass (2 posts)

Postby turbo_ale » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:32 am

Cold break and trub. Because of the less than vigorous boil and the high percentage of wheat, oats, the proteins did not settle out in the boil kettle, were picked up into the transfer. Not an issue, just not ideal, but will make good beer anyway.
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Return to Fermentation