Slow start or ruined batch?

Post all your fermentation related issues here... temperature control, "is my beer done", etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Slow start or ruined batch?

Postby Mattheus_Rex » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:52 pm

I brewed up a big ESB Saturday, gravity at 1.066. My yeast, WLP005 was three weeks past it's expiration date, but it had spent it's entire time in my fridge. I pitched it anyways thinking it couldn't have gone south that fast. 48 hours later on Monday I finally had some activity in the form of the airlock moved up. No bubbles, no more movement. I even took the airlock off and replaced it just to make sure I wasn't seeing things, it took about a day to go back up. Has anyone had a successful beer after a slow start like this? I'm going to wait a week and see where its at and reassess.
Mattheus_Rex
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Re: Slow start or ruined batch?

Postby pclemon » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:41 am

I've had successful beers after a slow start but what you outlined but unless you have a krausen at this point (72 hours later) I suspect your yeast was dead... and that could be because it was past its due date or could be that it had been dead all along... In either case a starter would have been advisable with the size of the beer and it would have given you an indication if the yeast were still viable.
Pete
pclemon
Micro Brewery (2500 posts)

Postby Mattheus_Rex » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:48 am

Yeah, I thought about a starter after the fact. I was smoking a brisket that day too so I was distracted. No Krausen, so it's not looking good.
Mattheus_Rex
Pint Glass (25 posts)

Postby Brewtime » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:02 am

I have 2 vials of WLP400 (Wit) in 2L starter. Its 5 month the best by date :oops: its going on 48 hours and no activity I'm giving it till tomorrow if no signs I'm dumping the yeast.
Drew

Work Hard, Rock Hard, Eat Hard, Sleep Hard, Grow Big, Wear Glasses if you need 'em "Web Wilder"
Brewtime
Addict (5000 posts)

Postby pclemon » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:16 am

Mattheus_Rex wrote:Yeah, I thought about a starter after the fact. I was smoking a brisket that day too so I was distracted. No Krausen, so it's not looking good.

Personally I'd go get myself a dry yeast packet and throw it in. It may or may not work out great, but I'd rather throw another $4 at it than pour it down the drain.
Pete
pclemon

Postby turbo_ale » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:32 am

Yes, don't dump, add a package of Nottingham dry yeast http://www.morebeer.com/products/dry-ye ... le-11.html
ON TAP:
1. 1C
2. 4B
Bottled: Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, 16B, 18B, 18E, 19B, 20, 21A, 23, 27
Fermenting:
Next: 5C

BEER, a mixture of malted grains, water, hops and yeast, that is transformed through the course of fermentation that transcends the simplicity of those basic ingredients, fundamentally into the drink of life.
turbo_ale
turbo_ale

Return to Fermentation